Thread: Christavia Tail Span and LSA wood aircraft

Christavia Tail Span and LSA wood aircraft

Hello all!

First off, does anyone know the tail span on a Christavia Mk.1?

Secondly, what are the ideas for an LSA homebuilt that has as much wood construction as possible. Looking for something preferably high wing, tandem seating, and folding wings already designed in. What are your recommendations? With that said, I'm really open to all suggestions.

The only two deal breakers: it must have two seats, and be able to be light sport.

I'm familiar with Fisher Flying Products already, but I'm looking for something a little more substantial, hence the Christavia question.

Looking forward to hear what you all come up with.

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    Have you taken a look at Just Aircraft's planes? Side-by-side, but they have folding wings. Bearhawk LSA - no folding wings, but tandem seating - it would be my choice. Tom
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

OK, I am a bit confused here. I like the Just Aircraft designs, but there is no wood in either. Nothing wrong with the Fisher Flying Products Horizon 1 and Horizon 2, well-proven designs but they are light at only 1050 lbs gross. Nothing else comes to mind for me as a wood construction, tandem two-seater in the LSA category with high and folding wings.

Name:  fisher horizon 1.jpg
Views: 7008
Size:  80.4 KB Name:  fisher horizon 2.jpg
Views: 7072
Size:  44.3 KB

If you can go with side-by-side then there is a version of the Falconar Avia Maranda with wood construction, a 1200 lb gross weight and folding wings that would work. If you can do without folding wings then how about a Pietenpol Air Camper? This Acey Deucey shows that an enclosed conversion of a parasol can look pretty good, or you could go with a canopy.

Name:  falconar avia maranda.jpg
Views: 4458
Size:  43.9 KB Name:  pietenpol air camper.jpg
Views: 6495
Size:  79.8 KB Name:  acey deucy enclosed.jpg
Views: 4639
Size:  53.1 KB

If you are considering a Christavia, then you are talking about a welded steel tube fuselage and tail feathers with wood wings. A J-3 Cub replica would work as well. If you then go with side-by-side seating then there are more options, say a Pober Junior Ace.

Name:  christavia mk1.jpg
Views: 5597
Size:  50.4 KB Name:  wag aero cuby.jpg
Views: 3456
Size:  24.4 KB Name:  pober junior ace.jpg
Views: 4149
Size:  23.3 KB

Otherwise there are lots of all-wood two-seaters that fit the LSA category from Europe, but those tend to be low-wing, side-by-side with a one-piece wing. A Druine Turbi comes close in a low-wing with the wind in your hair (or not, if you want a canopy) and tandem seats but the wings do not fold.

Name:  druine turbi.jpg
Views: 3392
Size:  77.3 KB

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Matthew
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Arizona, Alaska, and various other places around the globe
    Confused? He said he was open to all suggestions....I merely suggested two really good and practical designs which have no wood and which are much more substantial than FFPs.
    Last edited by Max Torque; 11-05-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    "You have to be alive to spend it..."

What about LMA? Are they still in business. I know they have an all wood copy of a J-3. I think they are in Florida but don't know that for sure. Someone had a picture of their almost completed Cub copy in a recent issue of Sport Aviation. By recent, I mean withing this year.

Check out the RagWing 19 Stork. All wood , 2 place, STOL, folding wings, LSA compliant. There is an active Yahoo builders group. See www.ragwing.net . Randy

Another option from Falconar Avia is the Cubmajor. Two seats in tandem, folding wings, all wood except for the center section. It's their version of the Luton Major.

Name:  CubMajor2.jpg
Views: 3517
Size:  102.8 KB