Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: info on affordaplane

charles again and i have been moving along, on my project. if i
    did not state it before, this is my first experience, building a plane.
    i am at the point of ordering the metal for the plane and i have been
    advised to order all long pc,s of material at one time that are over 8
    feet in length, because of the shipping cost. all that gets me to the
    point of what type of wings i should build. as i understand, there are
    2 ways to build the wings, one is to use tubing, with a number of cross
    tubing, the other way would be to use tubing with foam spacers. i would
    like the best wing that i can build. if you have time to give your
    thoughts on the subject it would be greatly appreciated

This message has been

charles again i need info on building the wings. i am going to buy the metal for the plane and i need to know if i should build the wings of tubing only or use tubing and foam to build the wings, i want to build the best wings, that i can. i am advised that it is best to buy all the long material at one time to reduce shipping cost. i am sure that several of you have, info and experience that would be of great assistance in this matter.
    thank you for being ready to help. charles

charles this depends whether or not you have a foam hot wire cutter, or are more comfortable making the alumanim version for simple assembly.
    you can mass cut the foam ribs with 2 good clean templates, and a nice long bow. it is possible to cut all you need in 1 session.

what are you the most comfortable with doing.

Oooh! My first forum post. This is so exciting!

I also bought a set of affordaplane plans a few years back ($7.95, and it included a builder/serial number - what a deal!). I have been looking them over again lately, and am considering building one.

That seat freaks me out a little - a fiberglass shell seat bolted to some angle iron on a 2x2 beam. What if the seat breaks? What if I fall out of the thing? Splat is bad. No seat belts in the plans, and really no where to connect them if I add them. I'm considering adding a little more of a "cabin" around that seat. Not much of one, mind you, but something.

Love that aluminum tube wing. Probably the simplest wing build I've ever seen.

@c richardson: The plans author also recommends the 6061-T6 tubing. He mentions that in the corrections/updates to the plans, located at http://affordaplane.com/general.html Like I said, I love the aluminum tube wing due to ease of assembly. Plus it would be more sturdy than a foam wing, albeit a bit heavier. I guess there really is no "best" wing, as you can argue the merits of each. I like the aluminum, but that is my opinion, nothing more.

@Victor Bravo: The only issue I have with EAB is I am within 30 miles of class B (PIT), and would have to outfit the aircraft with a mode C (or is that ADS-B?) transponder. I mean, a radio "stack" could be a handheld nav/com velcroed in there, but what do I do for a transponder? Yeah, I know I can get a waiver, but if I am flying around class B I'd rather be transpondered. Then there is the whole issue of a power source for the transponder.

Question: Is there a difference between EAB and EAB-LSA?
    Last edited by Mr_Intensity; 03-11-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Spelling/typo

Audubon96

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Here is one builder with a flying Affordaplane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrhvVjxHZGo

But this A-plane is waaaaay over weight for Part 103. It seems the A-Plane cannot be built to conform to Part 103.
    I’m looking for an affordaplane already assembled I wouldn’t trust myself building one. I’ve seen one up close they are hefty looking build.

Quote Originally Posted by Audubon96 View Post
    I’ve seen one up close they are hefty looking build.
    And therein lies the problem.....
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log