Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schools of Thought on the Flight School

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    This guy (Tessmacher) has some sort of axe to grind, & we aren't getting the whole story. He never has told us where he is or what clubs & FBOs he is complaining about.
    And you're not going to. It's called "privacy"...

My experience with flying clubs is and will remain, enough to deter me from them for eternity.

Everyone else may be different, but that's THEM. My experience was what it was.

The only "axe to grind" that I have, is idiots like you who think that there are people out there who either have an axe to grind, or who don't recognize that there are folks in this world who think that they're better than others, because their bank account is fatter. When the FIRST thing the guy says to you is (a direct quote) "Unless you provide me with your bank statements for the last three months, I don't have time for you" then there's a problem. And that's the whole story. I walked in, he looked me over, and that was that.

If you don't see that, you're part of the problem.

I would say something distasteful to you, but you clearly aren't worth the effort. You would either rationalise it away, or you wouldn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by brownsfan11 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips, after looking a little more I actually found a CFI listed for the airfield I was talking about. I will have to get in touch with him and see what his situation is. The fact that I may have to rent a plane to learn if the CFI does not have his own is a little daunting and may mean I still go to a real school instead. Any experience as to renting a plane for lessons/hiring a freelance CFI like this one?
    I train in many types of aircraft but do not have a training plane. You will find it difficult (or impossible) to rent a plane (from a FBO) when you are not a rated pilot and will be providing an instructor. Check with the CFI to see what he can do to provide an aircraft to teach in. If you can work out the details this may be the least expensive and possibly the best route to follow.

In my situation I teach in such a variety of aircraft that it would be impossible to have an adequate stable of vehicles. I get enough business from owners who can't find good instruction in their aircraft.

Try the local field but if it does not work move on. Do not feel that you need to get all your instruction from the same facility. You will get a more divers education if you fly from a variety of locations. Do not just hop around for no reason however.

Be certain that all instruction is from a "real" (Subpart H) (not just sport pilot, Subpart J) CFI so that it will count towards the PP. (Sorry, I can't remember the proper section numbers in part 61). Sport pilot training does not need to be in a LSA; only the check ride requires the LSA. You will need to decide which way to go, SP vs. PP when you take the written test. You will save money in the long run by eliminating the SP excursion if your goal is PP. Given your situation, I would recommend the PP. It will take longer but you will get much more. Only down side is it will take longer before you can carry passengers.

At this point the goal should be to enjoy the journey not to reach the destination.
    Last edited by jedi; 10-29-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Add Subpart H and J reference.

Well, sorry I tried to help.

To the OP: A club (a true club, not an FBO that calls itself a club) is usually your cheapest option, and you will be co-owner of the club's assets & will meet like minded people. Like any other private club there are rules & bylaws for joining.

I have been a member in several private clubs (not just a flying club) and every one did some sort of background & financial check. If you have a problem with that you are better off paying as you go at an FBO.

Quote Originally Posted by jasstech View Post
    Ask them about instructors. They will have one they use for flight reviews and may be able to let you know of a great one. When learning to fly I would say most people at one point start to question their ability to do it. Having a quality CFI and some friends on the field to talk to will help convince you that struggling is part of it, everyone goes through it, and not to give up.
    After seeing similar advice in other forums I think that my first step should be just to get out to the airstrip and strike up some conversations. Thank you for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Be certain That all instruction is from a "real" (Subpart H) (not just sport pilot, Subpart J) CFI so that it will count towards the PP.
    Ah, this has been my fear all along. Now I know exactly where to look for the fine print, thanks.

Well, its the start of a long and hopeful journey! Many licenses and endorsements from now I'll have to fly up to Oshkosh and meet more of the EAA crowd in person. Truly, thank you for all the help.

Feel free to leave this thread open for debate and discussion, but consider my questions answered. Until next time!