Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Since at least two of us have mentioned "The War Lover", here's a clip showing some of the B-17 low passes that really make it stand out:

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Final Countdown, two Tomcats dog-fighting a pair of Zero,s, awesome and lots of good carrier shots.

As an asside we toured the Midway in San Diego, very cool, they show how carrier operations work. Great tour, plan on spending the whole day.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Good point! I edited the thread title from "best" to "FAVORITE" to reflect that.
    -Zack
    Oh, in THAT case: 633 Squadron, The Blue Max, Twelve O'Clock High. The fact that I own the books each was based on probably has a lot to do with it, as does the fantastic music each features.

633 Squadron is an old favorite; I saw it in a rural theater (Wing, ND) when staying on my grandparent's farm for the summer. Yet it suffers a bit with a more-mature viewpoint; the plot is a bit stereotyped. Good flying scenes, with actual aircraft for the most part (though it uses ME-108s instead of 109s) It matches the book pretty well, except the movie changed the Squadron Leader to a Canadian to explain Robertson's accent. For those interested, the Robertson character survives, in the book. Music is fan-damn-tastic; took me 15 years to find the soundtrack, but I finally did. Heard it playing in a K-Mart once.

The Blue Max has a great plot, and a bunch of great actors (though I keep expecting Willy to do the Time Warp (again)). IMHO, Peppard was ideal as Bruno Stachel. The opening music is about the best-integrated I've ever seen; the whole bit with Peppard sloshing around in the trenches and the music sting as he catches sight of the airplane aloft. Great flying sequences, with replicas for the most part and some Stampes standing-in in other cases. Fairly close to the book, but again, the main character actually survives in the book (it's the staffel commander killed in the monoplane, and Stachel sets him up for it - though he has a change of heart). For those interested, the book does have a sequel: The Blood Order, about Stachel's involvement with the Nazis and the rise of the Luftwaffe.

Twelve O'Clock High...well, what can I say? I own the book, the movie on DVD, every episode of the TV series on the DVR, the "Twelve O'Clock High Companion" book published several years ago, a lobby card of the movie poster, and a replica of the Toby mug (foreever turned away from the wall). Good new footage, good use of historical footage, great story, great actors. Again, great use of music at the beginning when Stoval makes his post-war bicycle run to now-abandoned Archbury (though I love Dominic Frontiere's music for the series even more). The movie matches the book very well, eliminating only a minor love story (unusual, for Hollywood). As far as historical accuracy, before the premiere of the movie, General Curt LeMay complained how bad, technically, aviation movies were. He was told there was only one "error" in Twelve O'Clock high... and he didn't catch it.

I'd say, "Don't get me started" but I guess it's too late for that... :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The Blue Max...Great flying sequences, with replicas for the most part and some Stampes standing-in in other cases.
    There were some Tiger Moths in the mix, as well - at least one fairly heavily modified to look like a Pfalz D.III, and others just painted in German colors to fill out formations. I was always impressed that always tried to keep the Moths furthest from the camera in formation shots so that the "hero" reproduction aircraft were in the foreground. Great film!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

Banned
    All these titles had me unconsiously start to sing, "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines". Forget all the love interests sprinked about(except for Brigette, I really wanted Brigette). It's those beautiful antique replicas flying throughout, the tight script, the authentic set decorating, the great photography of the period pieces, the remarkable ensemble acting by some of the best British actors of the time, the opening credits animation sequence and the song. Man, how I love that song. Da da da da da da da da da da da da da, they go don de don don de don don de don de don, Up, down, flying around da da da da........
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 10-24-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: I forgot a "da"

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    All these titles had me unconsiously start to sing, "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines". Forget all the love interests sprinked about(except for Brigette, I really wanted Brigette). It's those beautiful antique replicas flying throughout, the tight script, the authentic set decorating, the great photography of the period pieces, the remarkable ensemble acting by some of the best British actors of the time, the opening credits animation sequence and the song. Man, how I love that song. Da da da da da da da da da da da da da, they go don de don don de don don de don de don, Up, down, flying around da da da da........
    Same here...!

P.S. You forgot a "da"? LOL!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Managing Editor

another good one - and pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Damn, you're right...this is what I hate about threads like this, every time I name my "Favorites" someone reminds of one I missed. Outstanding movie, especially in that the "Flying Machines" were actually, well, flying machines.

For those who DON'T have the theme running through their heads right now, may I offer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_jwJ68IWI

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Ron, I volunteer to do the research if folks want to send me copies of the movies! :-)

I thin I have that bookmarked, if I don't I will now!

Jim
    Jim, we have over 200 aviation movies in our DVD collection at Amelia's Landing Hotel, and our guests are encouraged to check them out like a library, for free. I believe we've got every movie everyone has mentioned so far.

Here's the plan: Come to the island this winter. Spend the month of January with us, in the Memphis Belle Room. Or the Fly-in Movie Room!

For 31 days, you can watch six aviation movies EVERY DAY, and STILL not quite have seen them all. At the end of the month, report your findings here.

We will then know, absolutely and positively, which is the best aviation movie!

Wink A couple of forgotten ones.

There has been no mention of A gathering of Eagles, Rock Hudson conducts a realistic SIOP ORI at a B52 SAC BASE. It was filmed at Beale AFB, CA before the SR-71 called Beale its home. During my AF career, I was part of an IG team inspecting the 9th SRW. Next is The Dam Busters, a classic British WWII film about Lancasters skip-bombing German dams. Add these to 633 Squadron and Strategic Air Command as the greatest.