Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

This is a thread I could dive into quite happily...but the thread subject stymies me: *Best* aviation movie??? No way I could make that kind of decision!

Didn't see "Soldier of Orange" on anyone's list.

Also, check out the Internet Movie Plane Database: www.impdb.org

Ron Wanttaja

The High and the Mighty.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    This is a thread I could dive into quite happily...but the thread subject stymies me: *Best* aviation movie??? No way I could make that kind of decision!
    Ron, I volunteer to do the research if folks want to send me copies of the movies! :-)

Also, check out the Internet Movie Plane Database: www.impdb.org

Ron Wanttaja
    I thin I have that bookmarked, if I don't I will now!

Jim
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

12 O'Clock High is great, but "The War Lover" has the unbelievable (but real) flying scenes.

Among other movies, I used to use 12 O'clock High and Command Decision for leadership development training.

All of the moves listed above are worth watching anytime...even Always. (How else can I get my wife to sit down and watch an airplane movie with me. WIN WIN!)

Add another +1 on to "One Six Right"
    Had forgotten that one yesterday - definitely binge watched that a bunch before I started taking lessons.

Still no one else for Top Gun!?!?!

Good point! I edited the thread title from "best" to "FAVORITE" to reflect that.
    -Zack

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dembroski View Post
    Add another +1 on to "One Six Right"
    Had forgotten that one yesterday - definitely binge watched that a bunch before I started taking lessons.

Still no one else for Top Gun!?!?!
    There's no denying that Top Gun had a significant impact on aviation and particularly Navy recruiting when it came out. I remember looking through old issues of Sport Aviation magazine and seeing all the VIPs at Oshkosh wearing Top Gun hats, Paul and Tom included. There's also no denying that there are some very iconic aviation scenes from that movie. That being said, it just doesn't hold up for me as one of the best compared to say, 12 O'Clock High or The Battle of Britain. Do I still end up watching it whenever I come across it on the tube? Certainly.

Jonathan Harger
    I'd echo earlier comments in support of One Six Right, Top Gun, and The Right Stuff.
    One of my favorites surprisingly not mentioned yet: The Defender, a documentary by Stephen Low. If you haven't seen it, it is available streaming at http://www.nfb.ca/film/defender and a description of the film is at http://blog.nfb.ca/blog/2009/07/27/h...r-bob-diemert/.
    The worst aviation movie I've ever seen has to be Iron Eagle.

Well, if you're going to mention The Defender, then I've got to up you one with Thunder Over Reno. FYI - the entire Defender documentary is on YouTube:

Jonathan Harger
    The car in The Defender starting at 44:45 on the YouTube video, "Chase One," would be the ultimate AirVenture vehicle.