Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    I saw this on TV when I was in Canada on one of many visits - I really enjoyed it! You just reminded me that, somehow, I don't own it - off to Amazon! I was at the rollout of the full-scale Arrow mockup at Downsview as well - such a shame about the fate of that museum!
    Hal, if you can't find it on Amazon, I have a copy I'd be glad to have you borrow. You can then make your own copy. CAVEAT EMPTOR: It's a VHS final cut production copy(remember, this was 1996, no DVD's yet or players) struck from the original 35mm print.

That debacle at Downsview still goes on with no resolution. The museum is still looking for a home and all the artifacts remain in storage. Very sad situation mainly because its still federal crown land.

Here's an epilogue to the Avro Arrow story that will not go away. It's one of those great urban myths. For 54 years the tale has circulated that one of the Arrows(there were only 6 production models, I believe) escaped the cutters torch at Malton(Toronto Pearson International), was flown to Muskoka Airport(7,000' runway) in Bracebridge, Ontario, taken apart and trucked to Barrie, Ontario(about 50 miles north of Toronto) where it remains to this day in an undisclosed location. Most experts on the subject believe this to be totally untrue, including the original test pilot who I met at one of the first screenings for cast and crew and distributors.

However, the real thing- a full cockpit section only- resides at the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa.

Am I the only person here who loves "12 O'Clock High"?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Finney View Post
    Am I the only person here who loves "12 O'Clock High"?
    Ken - absolutely not! I was sure if included it in my list, but I see that I missed it somehow. Great choice!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

That was a good one also

The High and the Mighty. Where else do you get the highest point of John Wayne's career: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2njKC5Iix8

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Fighter Squadron
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

"One Six Right" is my all time favorite. It's a great documentary with beautiful videography, amazing sound track, and a story that every pilot should understand. Great special features too! Watch it on the biggest screen that you can find.

Banned
    "Only Angels Have Wings", 1939, another classic directed by Howard Hawks, with Cary Grant, Jean Arthur and featuring the screen debut of Rita Hayworth. I've seen this film many times, just love it, a bunch of pilots risking there lives in tri-motors running an air mail service in deepest darkest South America. Great script, outstanding acting, funny, high drama and great flying in vintage birds. "Calling Barancca, calling Barranca..."--that line has always stuck in my head.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorrison123 View Post
    "One Six Right" is my all time favorite. It's a great documentary with beautiful videography, amazing sound track, and a story that every pilot should understand.
    Agreed, it's outstanding. For those that fly, it'll remind you of why you took to the air. For those that don't, you'll wonder why you haven't been bitten with this wonderful disease. It should be mandatory viewing for the Young Eagles program. Watch the entire film and enjoy. http://youtu.be/m6lopqRJaFM
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 10-23-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: wrong link

"Above and Beyond" with Lloyd Nolan and William Holden. They got access to Edwards AFB during the Golden Age of X planes for goodness sakes! The story is a thinly disguised version of (a famous test pilot)'s exploits if memory serves. Note: I had originally typed the actual name of this famous pilot, who broke the sound barrier, and when it posted to the board the name had been removed automatically. I happen to know the story behind this, but that automatic change is hilariously inappropriate in the context of this post's mention of a 1950's film)

Speaking of William Holden, how could you guys have forgotten to mention "The Bridges at Toko-Ri"??

My hat's off to the person who was thoughtful enough to mention "633 Squadron"...bravo!

Although not an aviation movie specifically, one classic should be mentioned if for only one memorable scene: "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". The gentleman who flew the Twin Beech through the sign was later my first flight instructor, so I have a personal connection to that movie. (well, two personal connections, but that's another story).
    Last edited by Victor Bravo; 10-23-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com