Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

12 o'clock High is probably best but Thunder Birds is corny but neat scenes of dozens (hundreds?) of Stearman. Gene Tierney isn't too hard to look at either

Agree with most of these. An obvious omissions, First of the Few: Story of RJ Mitchell & the Spitfire.

Not an aviation movie per se, but I get a good belly laugh every time I see Truman Sparks flying scenes in the movie "Fandago."

There's been a heck of a lot of good aviation movies, a few great ones (most of which are already mentioned in this thread), and a few duds (also mentioned in this thread). But there are two that I find myself watching again and again:

The Great Waldo Pepper - already mentioned several times in this thread. There's just something about this flick that brings me back to it time and time again.

Deadly Encounter - Stars Larry Hagman, Susan Anspach, and James Gammon. There is some absolutely amazing, over-the-top helicopter flying in this one. Rotorheads need to see it!!
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joda View Post
    Deadly Encounter - Stars Larry Hagman, Susan Anspach, and James Gammon. There is some absolutely amazing, over-the-top helicopter flying in this one. Rotorheads need to see it!!
    Speaking of eggbeater movies, I also recall "Birds of Prey", with David Janssen (1973). Traffic reporter sees bank robbers escaping by helicopter and gives chase.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Speaking of eggbeater movies, I also recall "Birds of Prey", with David Janssen (1973). Traffic reporter sees bank robbers escaping by helicopter and gives chase.
    Yep, Birds of Prey isn't bad, but it's not as good as Deadly Encounter.
    Cheers!

Joe

Mine is Midway.

Not to repeat what has been said....Failsafe, Dr Strangelove, Flight of the Intruder

Kinda funny...this thread is so old, I had to skim back to check if I'm repeating stuff I've already posted.

"Star of Africa" was available on Amazon Prime, not sure if it still is. It's a 1957 German film ("Der Stern von Afrika"), a biopic about one of their top WWII aces, Hans-Joachim Marseille. The aircraft effects are variable, from obvious models to ground shots featuring Spanish ME-109s (same ones eventually used in the Battle of Britain movie).

Another neat movie I found on Amazon Prime is "Resisting Enemy Interrogation." There's only a slight bit of stock flying footage in there, but it's actually a pretty good fictional story, about how German intelligence officers piece together information from shot-down American airmen.

Ron Wanttaja

I had to go back also, how time flies...surprised I remembered my login.

Tailspin was mentioned a few times, along with Tarnished Angels it gets shown on TCM now & again. Great vintage racers in both.