Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

The Great Waldo Pepper

I have a movie but I can't remember its name.
    It's about two guys that were to ferry 2 planes somewhere over the Pacific.
    They flew to Hawaii as a stop point.
    One plane ditched on take off and the other continued on only to get lost.
    He was assisted by an airliner who got him back to land.
    Great aviation drama and I think it was a true story.
    Anyone seen it and can recall the name?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    I'm betting it was Mercy Mission: The Rescue of Flight 771, starring Scott Bakula and Robert Loggia:

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I can't believe that no one has mentioned the B-29 film, The Last Flight of Noah's Ark. I believe it was Kermit Weeks Fertile Myrtle used for the flying scenes.

What???? No mention of Baa Baa Blacksheep? Sky King? Poncho Barnes? Midway? Tora Tora Tora? Pearl Harbor? Flat Top? Spitfire?
    I lost my recording of Tailspin (1939). Anyone got a copy?
    Last edited by Ronald Franck; 09-19-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Airport, Airport 75 (this one made me believe every 747 pilot looked like Ephram Zimbalist Jr and smoked a pipe) and Terror in the Sky...a made for TV movie with Doug McClure (he plays a passenger who has to land an airliner who's crew got sick because they had fish instead of chicken...only he "flew helicopters in the war, never anything like this!!!" Sound familiar?)

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    One that I like that not very many people seem to have seen is "Dark Blue World." It tells the story of Czech pilots flying in the RAF during WWII.
    Zack, if you like "Dark Blue World" then you'll find favor in the movie "Mission of Honor."

I thought the movie "The Hindenburg" was worthy of mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobrob View Post
    ...and Terror in the Sky...a made for TV movie with Doug McClure (he plays a passenger who has to land an airliner who's crew got sick because they had fish instead of chicken...only he "flew helicopters in the war, never anything like this!!!" Sound familiar?)
    Doug Mcclure? How about "Flight of the Birdmen" a movie based around the Colditz Cock, a glider constructed by POW's and intended to be launched off of the roof of the castle. The real one never flew, but in the movie...

Kyle, I was just about to ask about that movie but wasn't the title "Escape of the Birdmen"?

And has anyone mentioned "Flyboys"? That's a favorite of mine.

The WORST aviation movie I started to watch was "Air Strike" with Bruce Willis. It was so bad I couldn't get through the first half.
    Last edited by Ronald Franck; 09-19-2019 at 07:24 PM.