Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

Errol Flynn never did a movie titled Flight Surgeons. You’re probably thinking about the movie Dive Bomber. The story line may not be great but there is a lot of color video of pre WWII US naval aircraft. As for the smoking, it seems like everyone smoked in films back then.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

As for the smoking, it seems like everyone smoked in films back then.
    And not just in films. Even in the '50s and '60s smoking was everywhere. RFD-TV has reruns of the Porter Wagoner show, and occasional audience shots show people smoking right in their seats. You could smoke almost anywhere except where it might cause fire danger. That was just part of life back then.

Larry N.

Quote Originally Posted by Airmutt View Post
    Errol Flynn never did a movie titled Flight Surgeons. You’re probably thinking about the movie Dive Bomber. The story line may not be great but there is a lot of color video of pre WWII US naval aircraft. As for the smoking, it seems like everyone smoked in films back then.

Dive Bomber is an excellent movie. Not for the story line, but for the great footage of pre-WWII Navy aircraft. Gotta love the TBD Devastators! Don't see those flying around these days!
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    And not just in films. Even in the '50s and '60s smoking was everywhere. RFD-TV has reruns of the Porter Wagoner show, and occasional audience shots show people smoking right in their seats. You could smoke almost anywhere except where it might cause fire danger. That was just part of life back then.

As I recall, there were even ash trays in the armrests of the movie theater seats back then.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post
    As I recall, there were even ash trays in the armrests of the movie theater seats back then.

Dave
    And on the arm rest of commercial aircraft as late as the mid 80's. I think they had band smoking but some of the airlines still had the ash tray seats.
    Bob

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dclaxon View Post

Dave
    Those seats were only in a designated area of a theatre called "The Loges" and you paid an extra 50 cents to a dollar to sit there in order to smoke. The Loges were in the balcony of a theatre that had one. If a theatre didn't have a balcony then it was no smoking allowed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    And on the arm rest of commercial aircraft as late as the mid 80's. I think they had band smoking but some of the airlines still had the ash tray seats.
    Bob
    NEWS FLASH! When I began flying in the 70's and all through the 80's and early 90's all Cessna aircraft had ashtrays on both sides of the front seats as well as the back seats. I was a smoker then and when I flew solo I felt literally on top of the world, sitting back, flying, scanning for other aircraft and smoking. I thought it was the coolest thing I would ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Those seats were only in a designated area of a theatre called "The Loges" and you paid an extra 50 cents to a dollar to sit there in order to smoke. The Loges were in the balcony of a theatre that had one. If a theatre didn't have a balcony then it was no smoking allowed.
    Dunno, Floats...I seem to recall pretty general smoking in the theaters, when I grew up. Clouds of smoke lit by the projector.

Sure looks like the guy to the far right of the second row is smoking....

Ron Wanttaja

Banned
    That guy looks like he's smoking illegally. I mean, c'mon look at the woman he's with.

What I described is the way it was in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    What I described is the way it was in Ontario.
    Did they play God Save the Queen before the movie started?