Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FAVORITE aviation movie of all time?

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Zack's comment reminded me of another favorite film of mine, 1939's Tail Spin, starring Alice Faye, and featuring a cameo by our Museum's Chester Special, aka Chester Jeep.

Lots of great golden age airplane spotting, and a fun movie overall, though it can be hard to find.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  12.4 KB

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Missing the movie Cloud Dancer,, about acro pilot ( David Carridine) lots of EAA logos in the background and a cameo by Tom Poberezny

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    Zack's comment reminded me of another favorite film of mine, 1939's Tail Spin, starring Alice Faye, and featuring a cameo by our Museum's Chester Special, aka Chester Jeep.

Lots of great golden age airplane spotting, and a fun movie overall, though it can be hard to find.

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  12.4 KB
    I was not familiar with this title. That's quite the cast of A list actresses of the day and an aviation film centered on aviatrixes in air races is quite unique for 1939 or even today. Pancho Barnes and Jackie Cochrane must have been impressed and proud. This film must be a favourite of the Ninety-Nines. Wonder if it was used in the recruiting process for WASPS?

I liked "Top Gun" but my favorite has to be "Twelve Oclock High".
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Both great films IMHO. The EAA AirVenture Museum has a direct connection to Catch-22: our B-25 was used in the filming!
    Well, geeze Zack, Frank Tallman assembled 18 B-25s for filming "Catch-22". Saying a particular B-25 participated in the movie is like saying a particular celebrity slept with Madonna; interesting, but not too unique. :-)

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    Although not an aviation movie specifically, one classic should be mentioned if for only one memorable scene: "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". The gentleman who flew the Twin Beech through the sign was later my first flight instructor, so I have a personal connection to that movie. (well, two personal connections, but that's another story).
    Duuuude.... when researching another post, I noticed that Frank Tallman flew the Twin Beech. I know your other connection to the film, so I can see how you'd come in contact with him.

So, what was Tallman like, as an instructor?

Ron Wanttaja

The Right Stuff is a good aviation movie.

I do not think that anyone mentioned Wings, the first winner of the Academy Award for best picture. Both Richard Arlen and Buddy Rogers were pilots in their private lives. I believe it was also the first appearance of Gary Cooper in a supporting movie role. As an aside, WWI aviator William Wellman was a young director who went on to direct other films like The High and he Mighty (his son was the little boy traveling alone on the flight).

Someone mentioned that they liked seeing all the replicas in Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. Note that most of the planes were flying originals from the Shuttleworth Collection.

Being an Ercoupe guy, I have to add that the Hope/Crosby film, Road to Rio is a favorite. Who knew that an Ercoupe could hold about a dozen passengers including pilots and a flight attendant! Maybe not the Right Stuff, but good stuff.

John

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Craparo View Post
    I do not think that anyone mentioned Wings, the first winner of the Academy Award for best picture. Both Richard Arlen and Buddy Rogers were pilots in their private lives. I believe it was also the first appearance of Gary Cooper in a supporting movie role. As an aside, WWI aviator William Wellman was a young director who went on to direct other films like The High and he Mighty (his son was the little boy traveling alone on the flight).
    I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my earlier post, but I also mentioned a few dozen others since I really struggle to pick a favorite!

I had the chance to see Wings on the big (huge, actually: it was 80 feet wide) screen last spring, presented by William Wellman Jr., the director's son you mentioned. It was great to get some insights into the making of the film, and then to see it beautifully restored with a newly-recorded score was just amazing. The flying scenes were remarkable, and one scene in particular - a top-down view of a bombing run - still has me reeling.

I can also recommend Wellman Jr.'s book, The Man and His Wings: William A. Wellman and the Making of the First Best Picture, for anyone interested in the story behind the story.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

I like Midway, the Spirit of St. Louis, and the Tuskegee Airmen.