Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radio Station License

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    Well actually, I will hazard a think-like-a-beaurocrat guess that since 14 CFR Part 103 addresses ultralight aircraft,
    Well, Part 103 addresses ultralight vehicles. The FAA purposely does not call them aircraft so as to avoid any confusion with aircraft.

But my point is that having way too much interaction with alphabet government agencies like FAA, FDA, etx., I can guess that FCC thinks that FAA covers this topic and the result is that our ultralight friends get a pass as neither agency is paying attention. Shhhhh..... maybe they won't wake up.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

I agree, in true bureaucratic fashion, the agencies do not talk to each other and until something happens the issue won't be addressed or resolved.

From a practical matter, if safety is enhanced by an ultralight operator using a radio, then by all means do it. I'm sure a "made up" callsign will suffice for that purpose. At the request of ATC I have used many "made up" callsigns over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Except the J-3 or Champ (with a handheld radio) descending into the pattern above you that never knew you were there before impact because you didn't announce your position........

Flying in the pattern without a radio is a great way to increase the possibility of collision. It also reinforces negative stereotypes about "those untrained ultralighters".
    You do realize there are airports that have a significant number and at times a majority of certified aircraft that do not have electrical systems or handhelds. There is also also the situation on nice summer weekends that there is so much radio traffic on the popular CTAF frequencies that the radio becomes useless for position reports. 'See and avoid' is always primary at non-towered airports, the radio is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stadt View Post
    You do realize there are airports that have a significant number and at times a majority of certified aircraft that do not have electrical systems or handhelds. There is also also the situation on nice summer weekends that there is so much radio traffic on the popular CTAF frequencies that the radio becomes useless for position reports. 'See and avoid' is always primary at non-towered airports, the radio is secondary.
    I realize the scenarios you described exist, fly with us to breakfast on a nice Saturday.

See and avoid is indeed of primary importance. But that won't do you any good if a descending aircraft has an aircraft directly below it....or if a high-wing aircraft climbs into another aircraft. A radio call might save the day.

I've never understood the refusal to use a radio in the vicinity of a GA airport. Not only is it a safety concern, but it will certainly leave a negative impression on pilots who are using good radio technique. Handlheld radios are now inexpensive.....buy one....learn to use it.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 10-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I agree that everyone should try to have a radio. Today's problem is frequency saturation since somehow it has become common to hear folks calling inbound from 15 miles away and the always idiotic (unless you are flying a specific model of high speed lawn dart) "Traffic in the pattern please advise" call.

So while more radios might be helpful, more concise and to the point statements by pilots will avoid the constant squeal of pilots stepping on each other producing a channel where no one gets through. All of the blocked transmission that are so common on a nice Saturday do nothing for safety.

This problem might be regional. can I speculate that Unicom in Wisconsin might be less saturated than the same frequency in the northeast or in southern California? That difference might shape different poster's perception of the issue.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    I agree that everyone should try to have a radio. Today's problem is frequency saturation since somehow it has become common to hear folks calling inbound from 15 miles away and the always idiotic (unless you are flying a specific model of high speed lawn dart) "Traffic in the pattern please advise" call.

So while more radios might be helpful, more concise and to the point statements by pilots will avoid the constant squeal of pilots stepping on each other producing a channel where no one gets through. All of the blocked transmission that are so common on a nice Saturday do nothing for safety.

This problem might be regional. can I speculate that Unicom in Wisconsin might be less saturated than the same frequency in the northeast or in southern California? That difference might shape different poster's perception of the issue.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Yep, the "traffic please advise" call is not only idiotic but specifically stated in the AIM as unacceptable radio procedure.

I'm sure unicom congestion is regional, but even when congested I will always pay attention to a call identified as originating from the airport where I am located.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

well that was a total waste of keystrokes