Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help ,what is it.........

Wink Can anyone help ,what is it.........

Found in a grandfathers barn and have no clue....I am not a collector nor a flyer,although i do have over 230 hours in a ultralight,long story short is i dont wont to crush anything of value or something that another could use,any thoughts will be helpful..........Special thanks to Hal for his help........Jim RogersName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  92.6 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  96.9 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  97.3 KBName:  photo 4.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  92.6 KB

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN

Can anyone help ,what is it.........

Yes. Definitely a Swift. Ron's picture is of a Continental C-85 powered GC-1A. After a few hundred, the decided to use the Continental C-125, which was a big improvement, and designated GC-1B.

Hard to tell which the one you saw is. Airframes were virtually identical. It is likely a 46-48 model when Globe was building them, with Temco also building under contract. Globe later went under and Temco took over and built more 1950-51, IIRC. the rear windows and hat throw behind the seats was changed.

Here is my 1946 Globe Swift.

Last edited by JimRice85; 10-19-2013 at 10:20 AM.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

First off MANY THANKS ,you guys were very fast,and i wish it was all there,i had no idea that this plane would look any thing like this,i was trying to put it in the J2 class which i have flown some years ago,but it is about in a class to itself,the alclad is what made me wont to look further,i will leave this post up for awhile longer to see if anyone may need any sheet metal,it has several more parts in the belly of the plane that i have not pulled out and the rt fuel tank is still in the wing,just dont seem right to crush it...........................

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Where are you located? I'd be interested in learning what parts may remain. Also interested in the remaining fuel tank. Are there any rudder pedals or other control linkages?
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

I have the rt wing tank and 4 pedals,here is another picture i have ,i will also get you some better pictures of what i have.

You can see the pedals....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I forgot Location Maryville Tn. Phone 865 257 5717.......Thanks Jim Rogers

What an awesome find... IF only it could tell us it's story.

Well i went got the camera an pulled the sheet metal out of the belly,it really looks like most of the covering is in good shape,the gastank was sealed with tape.most hard part controls are ok,but the cables are rusted,the entire body of this plane ,at least what is left, dont weight 100lbs.............