Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best humorous headlines

Is this PART Deux or do you just forget what you post? The joke was bad the first time around.

Too Good To Pass By[/h]
    I hope that most of you will enjoy this; but for the starboard wing nuts among you, skip reading this and go elsewhere that is "politics" free.
    This is not really about "politics", ie no one is coming to take your guns away, but it is about politicians.

The recent headline read, "Gallup poll shows that rural American would rather elect Pres. Ahmadinejad than Pres. Obama".
    The govt. of Iran was delighted to read this latest news, and their national news agency, FARS promptly and gleefully republished the headline from the U S newspaper.

Only problem was the Iranians were not familiar with American satire and humor and didn't check their sources.
    The real source was the paper, THE ONION,.

The Onion then even went along and claimed that FARS was really a subsidary of theirs.

The Iranians have since apologized for the false report, no word on if they have a sense of humor, but I found it hilarious, it made my day in the otherwise tense real world of worrying about if Iran may soon have nuclear weapons and all that that entails with Israel, etc.
    Last edited by RV8505; 10-16-2013 at 05:22 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    So....how many have seen the 1957 movie Zero Hour, on which Airplane! was based? I just stumbled upon it a few months ago and was amazed at the number of scenes spoofed in the newer one.

Not only were many scenes of Zero Hour satarized but much of its dialogue was also taken word for word for Airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Awright, so we've veered off the path a bit.

So....how many have seen the 1957 movie Zero Hour, on which Airplane! was based? I just stumbled upon it a few months ago and was amazed at the number of scenes spoofed in the newer one.
    We watched it for a movie night at our EAA Chapter building. Of course many of us were laughing at the lines that are funny in Airplane but are meant to be serious in Zero Hour. Horribly bad movie
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Re the Onion: I had heard that it was a North Korean news source that made the mistake. Of course there is no reason why it couldn't have been both.

Working in DC, I find that I often have to look twice when reading a paper over someone's shoulder. (I am very ecology conscious that way.) There are days...sometimes weeks when you just can't be sure if you are looking at the Onion or the Washington Post.

Port, starbord, makes no difference. Really witty satire allows us to laugh at things too many people take too seriously -- even the things WE take too seriously.

I can't really remember whether it was N Korea or Iran, my friend says he thinks it was Iran. Doesn't really change the humor, that some dictator and some managed press picked up the story to score what they thought was a point against America and Obama., and the joke ended up being on them.
    Great satire like the Onion is good because it is not only funny, but often makes a good point even by exaggeration.