Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to be a pilot. Any advice?

I thank everyone for their advice and input. I am now really considering glider flying. The glider fight that I've had has been through CAP but living in the Tampa area, glider flights in CAP are rare, so I'll have to do it some other way. I've met many cool pilots in CAP and they all have great advice. I think I've already had 4 flights in CAP and then I had one through young eagles. I'm really close to getting my Mitchell in CAP. I'm not in boy scouts, but from what all of you have been telling me, I should probably join.

Quote Originally Posted by rmock View Post
    I thank everyone for their advice and input. I am now really considering glider flying. The glider fight that I've had has been through CAP but living in the Tampa area, glider flights in CAP are rare, so I'll have to do it some other way. I've met many cool pilots in CAP and they all have great advice. I think I've already had 4 flights in CAP and then I had one through young eagles. I'm really close to getting my Mitchell in CAP. I'm not in boy scouts, but from what all of you have been telling me, I should probably join.
    Since you're in the Tampa area, I definitely recommend Seminole Lakes Gliderport. Assuming that your parents are willing to make the drive, it's about an hour or so from Tampa.

http://www.soarfl.com/
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Since you're in the Tampa area, I definitely recommend Seminole Lakes Gliderport. Assuming that your parents are willing to make the drive, it's about an hour or so from Tampa.

http://www.soarfl.com/
    thank you

Start with gliders.

Start with gliding. This will teach you finesse and you will be well grounded and able to fly anything.

Alby (85 year old current pilot - ex instructor)

I'd suggest that, in addition to getting as close to the Spaatz as you can (helps with AFA), and having excellent grades, that you compete for, first, the Glider Encampment, then later for the Powered Encampment, each of which will potentially take you through solo (I've known several cadets here in Colorado who've done just that). Before you join Scouts, at least ensure that you will get your Mitchell, then progress as much as you can towards the Spaatz, though if you decide to also do Scouts be sure you allow enough years to progress through the ranks.

In most cases (that I've seen, anyway) you get much better leadership skill development in CAP than in Scouts, and I'm not sure that Eagle helps much more than Spaatz, though it's much better known outside CAP and the Air Force.

In any case, you've certainly got a lot more opportunities than we had when I was a cadet ('50s/'60s).

Larry Nussbaumer, MAJ, CAP, Retd.

Same here and I love flying to. Do you have the sportys learn to fly course? it was included in a code in your logbook from your young eagles flight. hope you can find other ways as well.

There is another way to start at the basics and it is in your area, if still in operation. It is a flight school that teaches you to fly ultralights, that is hang gliders, by towing them with a small powered ultralight. This would be fun, cheap, and real good basic beginning. I am not sure if they have a mininum age limit. I didn't fly there as it was too windy that day, but I have flown some basic hang gliders and it is great fun, and not too hard.
    I visited both Seminole Glider Port as well as this place in the same day, so I think they are probably within a couple of hours drive, give it a try.
    It's Wallaby Ranch, 1-800 Wallaby or 1-863 424-0070.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-06-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    Already having your license won't hurt you, but it doesn't necessarily give you an advantage in the selection process. Certainly continue to pursue your license, but be sure to keep your grades up.
    There is also the ROTC path to get a rated slot in the Air Force. While not required, a technical degree is preffered if going after a scholarship (which are difficult to get with the current budget constraints), good grades (3.5 or higher), and the number of flight hours does positively impact your ranking when competing for a rated slot. These are all things under your control, so you have direct impact on your sucess.

You can get a Pilot slot without a tecnical degree and lower grades, but you are reducing your chances of being selected or getting a scholarship.

Here's a few links to review:

UPT Training: http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/training_day.html

How to get a Pilot slot: http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/pilot-slot.html

What is AFROTC?: http://www.baseops.net/afrotc/
    --
    Bob Leffler
    RV-10 Flying
    www.mykitlog.com/rleffler

Here another link to help you sort some things out.

Become a Pilot

Scott Nelson

Get Started Learning to Fly Right Now

~ Click Here to Grab Your Free Gift ~

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    There is another way to start at the basics and it is in your area, if still in operation. It is a flight school that teaches you to fly ultralights, that is hang gliders, by towing them with a small powered ultralight. This would be fun, cheap, and real good basic beginning. I am not sure if they have a mininum age limit. I didn't fly there as it was too windy that day, but I have flown some basic hang gliders and it is great fun, and not too hard.
    I visited both Seminole Glider Port as well as this place in the same day, so I think they are probably within a couple of hours drive, give it a try.
    It's Wallaby Ranch, 1-800 Wallaby or 1-863 424-0070.

This is great advice. One really learns the feel of an airplane starting with an ultralight. Stick and rudder skills are so much easier to learn in little light weight airplanes. You feel the plane, and you put one of these planes on, instead of climbing in one.

Once you are in one of these small airplanes you become one with it. You almost slide into it like putting on a pair of pants. No climbing into anything. This is something that is one step above an ultralight.

Learn in a ultralight if you can, then step up from there. I myself believe a person going straight into flying say a 172 misses out on this Fun part of the learning process. Lets get back to Fun flying.

The way I do it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 1600vw; 01-08-2014 at 02:08 PM.