Thread: Stearman prop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stearman prop

I am looking at a Stearman with a 985 on it and have a question about the prop installed, hoping I might find a little knowledge about it here.

It it is a 2D30 Hamilton Standard with model 6167 blades installed. The blades listed on the Type Certificate for the Stearman are 6101 blades.

Does anyone know of any form of approval, STC, Field Approval, etc. that might be out there for the 6167 blades being used on a Stearman?

What category is the airplane operated? Standard, experimental, and then is it limited, restricted, ag and pest control, or? I too looked at the TCDS and you are correct that it lists only the 6101 blades for the PW 985. I am curious the category and when the Airwothiness Certificate was issued and were the 6167 blades on the airplane when the AW was issued.

It is a Standard Category, why I'm asking the question. Not sure if it was originally certified with them in the prop or changed down the road, I know they have been in the hub and on this airplane for years. The prop has had a couple of overhauls with these same blades.

Somewhere along the line the airplane was modified from a stock airplane with the PW 450 replacing the w670, R755, or a R680. If the designation has been changed to IB75A then the airplane was modified by Inland Aviation. If it retained the original designation the mod was done by Air-Repair. Both of these mods are noted on the TCDS for when the airplanes were changed to crop dusters. If your airplane was NOT a duster, then it would have been changed using an STC or 337 and the TCDS does not apply to your airplane. I would look at the paperwork when the airplane was modified. See who did the mod. If the paperwork just calls out a 2D30 and not blade type, there is no issue.
    Let me know what you find.

Dave

I have the papers (letters) sent to me in Dec. 1986 from the FAA GADO in Seattle saying it is acceptable to use HS 6167-16 blades with a 2D30 hub on our N3N with a PW R-985-AN1 engine. If this information will be of help to you, please provide your mailing address and I will send them to you.

beech 18 blades

The blades you've got were meant for a Beech 18 installation. If you review your airworthiness data for your Stearman, you should find either a field approval or STC for the prop installation.

The prop approved on the TCDS (6101-12 through -20 blades) was originally approved on the AT-6/SNJ and is the preferred propeller by most 450 Stearman drivers.

Prop blades

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy55 View Post
    I have the papers (letters) sent to me in Dec. 1986 from the FAA GADO in Seattle saying it is acceptable to use HS 6167-16 blades with a 2D30 hub on our N3N with a PW R-985-AN1 engine. If this information will be of help to you, please provide your mailing address and I will send them to you.
    That is very nice of you.

My mailing address is:
    Chip Woods
    PO Box 427
    Moscow, TN 38057

thank you very much.