Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What's a guy to do? Can't find Sport Pilot training anywhere close

Interesting take, Bill... The only problem with it is if I don't find a CFI capable of teaching in an LSA, then all I'll ever get to do is sit on my arse watching others. That smacks too much of the guy sitting outside the restaurant watching through the glass at all the people having a good time. Not my thing.

If I can't find what I want, on my terms, then I'll find the next best thing and run with that. It is my money after all. I will spend it on what makes me happy. If that means ignoring the local airfield, then so be it.

One tidbit to take away from all this. The cost of living in the US has gone up 111% since 1970. The minimum wage, adjusted for cost of living and the value of the dollar has gone down 23% since 1970. The average salary for a Fortune 500 CEO has gone up 537% since 1970.

Call me 425 271 7464. I am a qualified CFI and will teach in your aircraft and travel to your location. Price is reasonable but not free, unless we agree as I have done in the past with others on this EAAl list.

See my reply #13 on the New Sport Pilot Questions list for more info.
    Last edited by jedi; 11-12-2013 at 10:18 AM.

The described animosity toward SP on the part of FBO's & CFI's is generally correct. A flight school at my airport (SBP) refuses to give already-licensed Sport Pilots a Biannual Flight Review because "We don't consider it a real license". So consider this: she will let a 0-hour PP student fly her airplane but not a 500 hour licensed SP!
    An important note about the above comment regarding insurance: when you are a student of any class flying with a CFI, you are not PIC (pilot in command). The PIC is who is on the insurance policy for the rental. This info comes from 2 different FSDO's. This also holds true if your license has lapsed and are taking a flight review for currency.

C'MON CFI's, GET A GRIP!!

Update: I think the Instruction component of the situation has resolved itself...

A bit of background...

Back when I started taking instruction (early 1990s) I went with a friend to a small, local fly-in in another state. It was one of those breakfast things, and hanging out with other pilots for a while. I met a guy who was an instructor at that airfield, and we stayed in touch. It was a bit far for me to travel regularly, so I never took instruction with the guy, but I did run into him at other fly-ins, barbecues, and such from time to time. When I had to stop (marriage, family, job, etc) flying, I lost touch with all my pilot friends, and now, 20 years later, almost all of them have either moved on or have gone on West...

Late last week, I was working on researching something for a friend, and totally unrelated to anything having to do with flying, I ran across a mention of the pilot-CFI-guy I knew back then. I thought about it for a bit, felt it might be worth it to reconnect, and decided to get in touch. Turns out that he's retired from his day-job and now is a part-time CFI just for the fun of it. He just bought one a PiperSport/SportCruiser LSAs about a year ago, and would not only be willing to fly to me (around 80 SM) but can teach Sport Pilot, since he has an LSA!

I was just about ready to give up, and here fell in my lap the answer to my dilemma!

Now all I have to do is convince the other half that I want to start up flying again... Ha! That's going to be a tougher sell than it was back in the day.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Tessmacher View Post
    Update: I think the Instruction component of the situation has resolved itself...

"A bit of background...

Back when I started taking instruction (early 1990s)...
    Now all I have to do is convince the other half that I want to start up flying again... Ha! That's going to be a tougher sell than it was back in the day."
    You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. You don't have to convince your other half that you want to take up flying again, you've already decided to. Given the limited opportunity you have-do it! Here's what you tell your sidekick; let your other half "know" that you're taking up flying again since you've found the opportunity. You might have to sweeten the deal somewhat though. Here's some examples of what I've done in the past. When I bought a plane about three years ago I bought my wife a new washing machine-happiness abounds. When I bought my Junior Ace last year, I got her a new dryer to go with it-peace and serenity. When I drove out west a few months ago to pick up another plane I bought, I brought her along and dropped her off at her moms-she made me pick her back though. See, win-win, well almost. Or, you could roll the dice and "ask" permission. Seems kinda' risky though. By the way, I really did do the washer and dryer deal. I had to pick her back up from her moms-I don't know how to use the washer and dryer. We need a new living room set; I've got my eye on a Pietenpol.
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 10-28-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote.

"I was just about ready to give up, and here fell in my lap the answer to my dilemma!"

Hey, that's great news!

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. You don't have to convince your other half that you want to take up flying again, you've already decided to."
    I know you were speaking tongue-in-cheek, but we've been married 24 years, and the reason we've stayed married is that neither one of us makes arbitrary decisions without the others' approval and permission.

They say that couples only argue over two reasons: Money and Children.

We don't have either, and so we don't argue.

I think that she won't really present any objections, once she realises that I am really in want to do this. She might even encourage it! Stranger things have happened...

Now all I have to do is decide which kit to build...

Forty seven years ago I told my girlfriend we no longer need to consider getting married. When she ask why I responded, because I just bought an airplane. It sure was effective in getting her to say yes and we have been together since with no complaints about my flying or her cooking. Well for the most part. In fact, 27 years later I found out that she was the one that got me my dream job with United Airlines. Long story.

TM, actually, I'm only partially kidding. I really did do the washer and dryer thing. She wanted new ones. We've had "Money and Children". The money's gone, but the kids keep coming back-mostly to barrow what's left of the money, or eat food, or barrow a car/boat/truck/airplane. We don't argue about either. Luckily, she finds my ability to make the most of not much intriguing. 29 years and still going. However, she informed me earlier that a Pietenpol is worth a living room set AND a new kitchen. What's up with that? I think I need to remember to log out of this site when I'm done! She may be on to me...

I get it!