Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a guy to do? Can't find Sport Pilot training anywhere close

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What's a guy to do? Can't find Sport Pilot training anywhere close

I'm seeing red, mostly because of the attitude that everyone seems to have that the Sport Pilot Certificate is worth less than the paper on which it is printed.

I have already searched the EAA listing for Flight Instructors, I have already searched the AOPA listing, and three others on other aviation websites only to find that the nearest Sport CFI is 141 miles away from me. Too far to drive.

I have had three different CFIs at three different airports close to me, tell me that they don't do "that sport pilot crap" (a direct quote from one of them) and had all of them tell me they don't fool with it because they can't make money off of it, and all of them tell me "why waste your time with a ticket you can't do anything with?" There is a very disappointing antipathy towards the Sport Pilot certificate.

So what's a guy to do?

Sounds like Ultralight training haha.

Seriously this is once again caused by the govt. regulation put upon each "sect" of flying.
    Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

I feel your pain. If this was my school or training center I would be pushing the SP program. I would push it on an entry level. Meaning I would give you the bare bones SP certificate. Meaning if you want to say, fly a passenger you are coming back for more training and an endorsement. Now I did not say I was skimping on training, one would still train according to the PTS standards as they where written for the SP program.
    This would do a couple things. It would keep your students in your program and you will be training them more then if you just went for the full blown SP certificate with dual seat and class C ratings. Why do all this at once, spread it out and keep the school active. Then if one wanted to go PP they would need some more training.
    I mentioned this to a couple CFI's. The responses sent me running. Then the ones whom say they will train the SP program do it to GA standards. I have heard so many times, flying is flying you need to know all this. Really, I need to know how to fly into class c airspace. I will never fly into class c airspace. So no I do not need that endorsement thank you. I don't even need to know how to use the radio. My airplane has no electric system so no radio. I see lots of ways to trim the fat from the cost of a basic SP Certificate in terms of cost. As your flying needs change so does your training. Win win for both the student and the SP School.
    Now if you feel like I do. Can travel and are a CFI, there is a training facility that's is looking for you. It sets on a 4000' sod runway with a classroom area, shop, office space and on site dorm with 4 bedrooms a bath and a half, kitchen.
    All this could be yours for a very low monthly cost. Offer financing to your students and you have a something here. I know of quite a few folks in this area whom would jump on this and you would have them as students for years, one would be me. I would even work the office for free. Donate my time to the cause.
    Who is on board?
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-12-2013 at 05:35 AM.

The 2 FBOs I know of that had Sport planes got rid of them. Why? A few reasons. Between purchase price, note payment, & insurance cost the hourly rate was as much as or more than a 172. Most insurance companies are requiring that the pilot renting the plane has a medical certificate (which many sport pilot applicants cannot pass). And the big one, many of the people seeking sport training are a bit "large" which means you need to have a 110 lb instructor.

Tessmacher:

Could you consider taking some annual vacation (say two weeks) and traveling to a flight school offering SP training and doing an accelerated course? Wouldn't need the local CFIs then. Surely there is one or more flight schools that could provide such a program.

Don

Check the prices of some of these schools. In my world the people flying SP do not have this kind of cash.

As for the training and medical, that just is not correct. You can train in a ercoupe c model, I have done it. But the problem this type of airplane does nothing for me. My airplane is nothing like this airplane but I am forced to train in it. You can buy these planes all day in the 20K range.

I will train in anything as long as I get my SP certificate. I will train in a Rotor craft if that's whats available, I can then go and get an endorsement for fixed wing. Its all about the endorsements but no one gets it. No one I have talked with.

I am wrong about one thing, this man gets it. He understands one can go after endorsements and further their training. I am hopping to see this man around here a lot. Chris Lord is his name. At the start of this video he is standing next to Mr. Dave Holmes whom owns this lovely airpark.
    if you would like to contact Mr. Chris Lord, his website is on the side of his Gyro.
    Tell him Tony sent you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5_YZckKvn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgOoH9hQxm4
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-12-2013 at 06:31 AM.

I get it!

Quote Originally Posted by dewi8095 View Post
    Tessmacher:

Could you consider taking some annual vacation (say two weeks) and traveling to a flight school offering SP training and doing an accelerated course? Wouldn't need the local CFIs then. Surely there is one or more flight schools that could provide such a program.

Don
    Nope. Not an option.

I am not sure where you are located but Chris will come to you within reason. He wants to get a traveling training center going, with multi gyro's and some fixed wing. There are those working on this. It takes forums like this to keep others posted as to what is happening in your area and how it might help others.

He told this story when I met him. He said I was cruising along at 9500' and called ATC asking for Flight Following and the the tower said....You are what kind of airplane?