Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AOPA "Dogfight": Experimental vs. Standard

It seems to me that the perception of Experimentals to the rest of the world is that they may be sub standard in some way,
    poorly maintained, and unproven designs.

Generally, nothing can be further from the truth as homebuilders typically take much greater care and processing when doing builds
    and many designs have been around for a very long time with hundreds of flying builds to proving the qualities and design.

Granted there are always those aircraft that are attempted by folks with no aptitude for home building and I think those mostly either:
    1) don't get finished when the builder realizes its beyond his capabilities,
    2) get finished /rebuilt by another experienced home builder,
    3) don't survive the test flight program, or are shelved due to simply deemed too questionable to take the risk to fly.

There are many advantages to Experimentals and few short comings in my opinion.

Plus, by their very nature, some designs contribute significantly to advance the technology of flight, engine, control and avoinics systems.

In a developed society with freedoms, allowing experimentation contributes more to the society overall versus the risks.

I am to this day still puzzled why there is not an experimental category for vehicles, as I believe the potential for innovation and advances
    in those areas are tremendous.

I see experimentation on the whole in the US as being excessively regulated to the detriment of our society. Instead the misguided do gooders would rather prohibit every sort of activity with any risk at all. It will delegate the US to the 3rd world country soon if that trend is not reversed.

Already we are seeing the exodus of our greatest talented folks departing the US for foreign countries where their innovative spirit is fostered and those societies benefit from the advances instead.

Anyway, I digress, experimentation is GOOD and should be fostered in any and all areas of aviation.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
    Generally, nothing can be further from the truth as homebuilders typically take much greater care and processing when doing builds
    and many designs have been around for a very long time with hundreds of flying builds to proving the qualities and design.
    From what I see, I think this is largely correct, but I've also seen some pretty scary homebuilts... proven designs, but poorly maintained in the absence of an IA's inspection every year. Granted this is not the norm, and I also see it with some older factory built lightplanes... but the crash (or forced landing) of, say, an Aeronca or an old 150 doesn't get notices as much as it would if it were a homebuilt.

I am to this day still puzzled why there is not an experimental category for vehicles, as I believe the potential for innovation and advances
    in those areas are tremendous.
    Actually there is, in a way... many if not most states allow you to register a homebuilt automobile provided it complies with the applicable safety standards. In a way it's simpler than with airplanes, since it doesn't have to be "experimental" or "amateur built".

Already we are seeing the exodus of our greatest talented folks departing the US for foreign countries where their innovative spirit is fostered and those societies benefit from the advances instead.
    I don't know about that. Have you looked at the homebuilt aircraft regulations in most other countries? I don't know of any country that allows the freedom of experimentation with aircraft that we have here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I don't know about that. Have you looked at the homebuilt aircraft regulations in most other countries? I don't know of any country that allows the freedom of experimentation with aircraft that we have here.
    Actually, I was speaking more to the top designers, engineers and innovators in general, not just aviation, the brain talents, rather than the freedoms.

I know that the US is probably the best in terms of Experimental Aircraft rules.