Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avenger V with 1/2 VW and traffic alert

Avenger V with 1/2 VW and traffic alert

I made a bone head move and got forum-a-gasket in my oil and this got into the oil gallery in the crank and starved the crank for oil. I will sell this airplane with an engine from Hummel for 7000.00 or as is for 4500.00. Scott Casler at Hummel told me not to expect this engine until after the first of the year, he is that backed up.

I have already sent the heads off and had the valves redone and all. The heads looks new.

Central IL location, registration is current.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Gday, that forma gasket is horrible stuff,the right gasket and sealant and use of a torque wrench usually gets the job done. Cheers Ross

Quote Originally Posted by eiclan View Post
    Gday, that forma gasket is horrible stuff,the right gasket and sealant and use of a torque wrench usually gets the job done. Cheers Ross

Note real sure what I am to torque. My Mosler 1/2 VW uses a Bail style wire to hold the cover on no screws or bolts. You would have to post a video of that one. Not sure how a torque wrench would help here. Please post a pic of this.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.

A few more Pics.

The Crank

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Note real sure what I am to torque. My Mosler 1/2 VW uses a Bail style wire to hold the cover on no screws or bolts. You would have to post a video of that one. Not sure how a torque wrench would help here. Please post a pic of this.
    It was a general comment as you didn't say where the forma gasket was,though there seems to be excessive amount of product.Don't worry you aren't the first or last to suffer from this situation.I have been caught ,in my youth ,the same way and it is and always will be a !@#$%^%& moment.Cheers Ross

Quote Originally Posted by eiclan View Post
    It was a general comment as you didn't say where the forma gasket was,though there seems to be excessive amount of product.Don't worry you aren't the first or last to suffer from this situation.I have been caught ,in my youth ,the same way and it is and always will be a !@#$%^%& moment.Cheers Ross
    If you notice, that forum -a-gasket on that cover did not cause this. That was installed correctly. The forum a-gasket was used correctly. maybe a little heavy but that was not bad for the way it was used.

Most use this stuff right out of the tube. Squeeze it out on what you need it on, then slap it together. You just did it wrong.

The forum-a-gasket needs to skin over. depending on temp and all it could take 20 mins for this to skin over, to cold and it won't skin over. You can tell in the photo that indeed this did skin over. Look at how the forum-a-gasket formed little balloons when the cover use installed. That is how it should look if to much is used.

I had an A&P when I fist purchased this airplane get this stuff in the engine. He did as I said and just slapped it all together. I could tell you the horror stories of what he did but why.

Now why do I put so much forum-a-gasket on that cover. I do not trust that wire to hold that cover in place. You remove that wire and you have to work to get that cover off. Use very little and it will just fall off. It happened to me after that A&P worked on my airplane. Then he went nuts with the stuff and did not know the correct way to use it, I had the stuff everywhere.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-19-2013 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Now why do I put so much forum-a-gasket on that cover. I do not trust that wire to hold that cover in place.
    Hmmmm...how often does that happen on the cars? Over the years, I owned a '64 Sedan, '71 Super Beetle, and a '74 Thing. Never had a valve cover came off, even when the rocker arm fell off on one side.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Hmmmm...how often does that happen on the cars? Over the years, I owned a '64 Sedan, '71 Super Beetle, and a '74 Thing. Never had a valve cover came off, even when the rocker arm fell off on one side.

Ron Wanttaja
    There was around 7 people whom saw this happen. I lost both valve covers. I have never had one fall off myself, but then again I use a gasket, he did not, only forum-a-gasket.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post

Ron Wanttaja
    Even though remote, it can happen. However, it's not difficult to safety the retaining bail which reduces the probability of it inadvertently releasing to zero.