Thread: Sportair workshops

Sportair workshops

I am sure there are previous threads related to this subject, but I'll start this on anyway. Last weekend, I participated in the Electrical Systems and Avionics workshop in Peachtree City, Ga. This is the third workshop that I have attended. I participated in the Fabric Covering workshop a few weeks ago and the Sheet Metal Basics workshop a little over a year ago.

If you are just getting started in your project, or are reading these threads contemplating starting a project, I highly recommend that you find a program that interests you and go for it. Charlie Becker and the rest of the crew do a great job passing along decades of knowledge and experience. Additionally, the instructors that I have worked with seem to really enjoy what they are doing. Obviously, this helps get the messages across.

In this last program, in addition to fiddling around with a few basic assembly projects, I felt I came away with numerous tidbits of information about electrical systems, antennas, tools, etc. that will be useful in my Nieuport build, and also with keeping up with my 1965 Citabria 7ECA. To say the least, 48 years of mods have created an interesting wiring system in that plane.

I highly recommend these workshops.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

I agree Dale ~ I did the gas welding one a year or so ago and picked up more in that weekend than I had in the preceding 6 months of glove burning

With winter coming on, I am looking forward to taking others, just for the experience!

I would like to take the gas welding program too, but it isn't held in the southeast. Maybe one day I'll get to where its available.
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Agreed! Took the sheet metal RV workshop before I started my project, well worth it. Quality instruction (plus it was held in the parts area of Aircraft Spruce, very cool!).
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Oh yes. Workshops help a lot! When I went to Oshkosh back in 2012, I took a sheet metal workshop so I know how to rivet. It helped a lot. I am just starting on my project so we will have to see how the rivets really turn out . I would highly encourage any new home builder to take these work shop's prior to starting there project. Now when I attend airventure next year, I will have to take a fiberglass work shop.