Thread: 2012 RV-7A - Lost my medical and heartbroken to sell.

Sad 2012 RV-7A - Lost my medical and heartbroken to sell.

You may recall Budd Davisson's article about N614EF in the January 2013 Sport Aviation Magazine. She will only go to a home who'll respect her and appreciate the dedication and care that created her. Yes, there are dings here, and stuff that could be better there. If you're looking for a perfect airplane, she probably isn't it. If you're looking for a great airplane, this is it.

Here's the interior by Flight Interiors.I didn't spare a lot of expense on comfort. The seat cores are Oregon Aero. The seat belts are top of the line Hooker Harness five-point straps.

Underneath the carpeting in the forward fuselage are two thick layers of soundproofing foam under .063 aluminum. This eliminates any heat and vibration and creates a very solid "feel" under your feet.

It's a beautiful day to fly in Flyover Country and you could tell she'd like to. The ELT antenna is on the top. I've always like the look of an antenna stack. The bottom features a rod transponder antenna and a comm antenna that cost way too much because of the name on it.

As you can also tell, I polish it. The rest of it hasn't been painted yet, but....

This is my inspiration and plan, a classic old design with a few updates (a metallic paint, for example).

I saw that at Oshkosh a couple of years ago and headed straight for the Nuvite booth. I would consider throwing them into a deal if you saw fit to polish. If you don't, you deny yourself some mighty inexpensive therapy.

There are a TON more pictures and information about the plane on my blog.

RV7A, N614EF, VFR panel, Tip Up, FP (Plumbing in place for conversion to CS). Asking Price: $83,900. Lost medical
    S/N: 70240
    Many pictures for email, build logs available (pdf) by request. A scattering of videos all over the Internet, several articles about the long process involved. Plenty of stories that can be retold.

TTAF: 98
    First flight date: June 3, 2012

Engine: New Mattituck (Lycoming) IO-360M1B (Injected 180HP), One Slick Magneto (left side) and 1 Lightspeed EI, Skytec Starter, Vetterman Crossover Exhaust. More information on the engine is here.

Prop: Sensenich FP 85 pitch (Van's recommendation). Prop has been balanced.

Electric Flaps, manual trim (elev and aileron), Whelen 3-point strobes, Duckworks landing lights with wigwag

Avionics: Icom A210 comm, Garmin 327 transponder (to GPS), Dynon D100. Installing AOA plumbing now, Garmin 296. TruTrak Digitrack (to GPS), VP-50 power management. 406 ELT (May 2014 battery). Zaon MRX traffic detector. Backup steam gauge airspeed and altimeter. GRT EIS 4000 with fuel flow indicator and fuel gauge. EI Fuel gauge. ARTEX 406 ELT (new antenna).

Interior: Upholstery and carpets, grey/maroon by Flightline Interiors. Hooker 5-point harnesses. Portable Aerox oxygen installed. Fire extinguisher etc.

Tires/wheels: Desser Monsters (just installed) retread. New brake pads installed. Nosewheel has Matco mod. I had that fairly common "groan" when applying the left brake for awhile (you can hear it in the Oshkosh departure video). Fixed with Disc Brake Quiet.

General info: Fully loaded, it cruises at 148 ktas at 6,500 (determined on way home from Oshkosh). It's never been higher than that so I can't give you better information. Full logs and install/owner's manuals for all avionics, cockpit cover (Cleveland), and towbar. Fiberglass wheelpants, leg fairings, intersection fairings completed (some cosmetic work necessary on upper intersection fairings) but not painted. It's a pretty stock build as I learned long ago to follow instructions.

Stall speed: Flaps 48 kts, No flaps 51 kts.

Empty weight: 1121 (2 pounds over the Van's sample)

Date last annual: May 2013. Flown regularly while I could but it's never had a flight longer than about an hour and a half (to Oshkosh this year, and Madeline Island last year). Sadly, it never made it to Cleveland or New England. Everything else has been local, the equivalent of a little old lady only taking it out on Sundays.

Things I intend to do before selling: It doesn't need it but I want to change the oil again and remove the quick drain I have in there now because while tightening it last time, I crimped the safety wire holes. So I'll buy a new one and install. I also want to put a new crush gasket on the oil strainer plug. It uses very little oil but it weeps there slightly. I may connect the APRS, I want to work on the fiberglass intersection fairings a little more, and if nobody's buying, I'll be polishing anyway.

The terrific Tom Berge did several inspections during construction, did the final inspection before I had DAR Tim Mahoney do that, and Tom did the first flight and said, "congratulations, you've got a fine airplane." Tom doesn't lie about these things and he's got high standards. The flight test data you can find here. Tom would make an excellent pre-buy inspector, and can also provide you with outstanding transition training. It's in nobody's interest that you not feel completely comfortable in this aircraft.

I'm not going to lie to you; I don't want to sell this plane. She and I have been together through some good and challenging times. There are pieces of people all over her (and here). I can't tell you how much she means to me and how much I want her to mean to the next owner. If that happens to be you, I sure would appreciate your stopping by every now and again and let me go for a ride.

Also, if you're in the Twin Cities area and would be interested in a fractional ownership, I don't really know how they work but would be willing to investigate and consider it.

Contact Info: Bob Collins, bcollinsrv7a@comcast.net, c: 651-470-6371

Last edited by Bob Collins; 10-07-2013 at 10:15 AM.

My wife said once that the saddest words in aviation are "I lost my medical". We are very sorry. She is a lovely aircraft!

There can be no more unbearable misfortune than to have experienced the freedom of flight and slipped the surly bonds of earth only to be chained to the surface never to wheel and soar in sunlit silence again (apologies to John G Magee, Jr). I have read and enjoyed the story of the trials and tribulations of bringing your aircraft to life on the VansAirforce forums. You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream (C. S. Lewis). Good luck.
    Bill

I have known Bob for a long time if you haven't and I am trying to talk him out of selling because I think he will get his medical back. That said, he has a real nice airplane......
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    I have known Bob for a long time if you haven't and I am trying to talk him out of selling because I think he will get his medical back. That said, he has a real nice airplane......
    I really hope you are right.
    That is one nicely done aircraft.

How do you preflight that thing? You'd need dark glasses just to get close to it. You could only fly formation with it at night or on cloudy days.
    I hope you can find some nearby partner or buyer who will share flying with you. All they need to be is private pilot, no special rating for RV. I would do it if I was in that area. Look around at Anoka, and Flying Cloud, and the CAF guys nearby.
    Good luck

Mr. Collins, if there is any chance of getting your medical back, do not sell your plane. There will be plenty of time to decide after the shock of the loss of the medical. If you sell it now, it's gone. If you get your medical back the plane is irreplaceable. There will be plenty of buyers for such a fine aircraft-now or later. Having it might be the incentive to deal with the hassle of jumping through the hoops to get your medical back. From reading your posts you come across as a fine compassionate man. Do not rush into this. Good luck in however you decide.

I wish I were closer... Any old excuse to ride around in that fine bird, would do...

I wish I had the money, but with the amount of work you have put into her there is no way I could make an offer that wouldn't be an insult. That has to be the most beautiful bird I have seen, there is something about a polished aircraft that just makes me want to drool. I am on a VA pension and A Railroad full disability, and have been building both an Avid pretty much from scratch and a Wittman Buttercup both rag and tube planes but they will get me into the air, as soon as I find the rest of the parts to get my 0 235C built, bottom end is fine but try and find useable rocker arms for a C series they were the only ones with solid lifters. I would do anything to jst spend a few days building an aircraft with you, you are not that far away, but you could teach me so much. It is too bad that you can't get a Sport Pilot Certificate, I could imagine an RV12 done up like Your RV7 you have the touch.

Bob, just stumbled upon this thread in my daily exploration of the EAA Forums. Coincidentally, I've been binging on the EAA Radio archives lately and your segments are always my favorite.

Wish I could give your RV a home, but since I can't I'll just say that (though we've never met) if your flying days really are over, you're always welcome in the seat next to (or in the case of the Cub, in front of) me.