Thread: Weird aircraft registration questions...

Question Weird aircraft registration questions...

I haven't been able to find an understandable answer in the regs, so I thought I'd post here to get some expert opinions...

Let's say that I'm about to purchase a kit to build as an E-AB. I also would like to try to get a particular N-number if possible, rather than just let the FAA issue me one at random. The N-number I would like to have is not active in the registry, as it once belonged to an airplane that was exported from a factory to Venezuela in 1967. Search results came back with the N-number as "Deregistered". Another possible N-number is shown as "Deregistered" as of 1991, having belonged to an aircraft in Nebraska that was listed as "Destroyed". (Parenthetically, I looked up a third optional number, and it showed as "Pending" on a homebuilt in Texas.)

First question, does this mean I can request either of the first two "Deregistered" numbers, since neither of them are on an active aircraft in the United States, and do not belong to anyone?

To complicate matters, a fellow at the local airport informed me that there is a completed example of an aircraft of the type I am interested in building available for sale, listed on the Barnstormers website. I have looked at it, and it seems like a good buy, although I really dislike the paint scheme. It is registered and flying, which brings up my second question. If I were to give up the idea of building, bought this aircraft and repainted it, could I request to change the N-number to one of the "Deregistered" ones I looked up in the FAA database? Is that kind of thing possible at all? It is an Experimental Amateur Built for what its worth.

Thanks!

You can reserve the numbers here, you can enter up to 5 to see what are available: http://aircraft.faa.gov/e.gov/NN/ or even grab one with your two initials at the end. Costs $10 (and renews for $10 for every year before you actually attach it to an aircraft). It will tell you if you can have the number before you even fork over the $10.

Yes, once you have your number reserved, you can stick it on a new factory plane, a homebuilt, or renumber an existing plane.

Well, that was quick...

Thank you!

You can also search numbers here that will be available in the future but are not available at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessmacher View Post
    I haven't been able to find an understandable answer in the regs, so I thought I'd post here to get some expert opinions...

To complicate matters, a fellow at the local airport informed me that there is a completed example of an aircraft of the type I am interested in building available for sale, listed on the Barnstormers website. I have looked at it, and it seems like a good buy, although I really dislike the paint scheme. It is registered and flying, which brings up my second question. If I were to give up the idea of building, bought this aircraft and repainted it, could I request to change the N-number to one of the "Deregistered" ones I looked up in the FAA database? Is that kind of thing possible at all? It is an Experimental Amateur Built for what its worth.

Thanks!
    The answer is yes, you can reregister a plane with a different "N" Number. Work with your controlling FSDO. They will walk you through it, but essentially, the feds in OK City will issue you a new registration with the new number, and the FSDO will issue you a new Airworthiness Certificate with the new number in trade for the old Airworthiness Certificate with the old number. You make a logbook entry in the Airframe log to note that it now has a different number and put the new numbers on the aircraft. That's it. I think it costs $5 or $10 for the registration and nothing for the airworthiness.

-CubBuilder

Awesome. Thanks much for the reply...

If it could only be this easy to find an instructor who can teach the Sport Pilot certificate...