Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Oshkosh Air show routine?

Maybe they can have a day devoted to turbine-powered tractor pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Maybe they can have a day devoted to turbine-powered tractor pulling.
    LMAO
    Or jet drag races, with a B-52 and a C-5...

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    Red Devils.
    Which ones, Jim?.....the red 450 Stearmans at RFD (Bob Heuer, Marion Cole, and Gene Soucy) or the 2nd generation (Gene Soucy, Tom Poberezny, and Charlie Hillard) in the Pitts' at OSH pre-Eagles? :-)
    Last edited by Jim Rosenow; 12-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Gene, Tom, Charlie.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Bob Hoover's Shrike show was always amazing to watch. For the old timers out there, I always enjoyed Duane Cole too. Anyone out there remember Duane?

Quote Originally Posted by captaindenim View Post
    Bob Hoover's Shrike show was always amazing to watch. For the old timers out there, I always enjoyed Duane Cole too. Anyone out there remember Duane?
    I marveled at Duane for years...completely my aerobatic idol. Even have sort of a link to him. The mechanic who taught me rag and dope while we rebuilt my first (out of a barn) airplane had the distinction of welding up the first Cole Brothers Air Circus wingwalker stand. He had some stories...

While I can appreciate the skills of aerobatics I seldom spend much time watching them. I did like Hoover and really liked the GB with Delmar. Most of the others seem pretty routine and I've been going to Oshkosh since the first one. What I do like is the flybys with vintage aircraft but "different things for different folks".
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berg View Post
    What I do like is the flybys with vintage aircraft but "different things for different folks".
    And that is why airshows need variety! I enjoy all of it but I don't want to see three acts in a row do the "same" thing! Sean Tucker followed by John Mohr followed by Fifi flying by is what I'm thinking!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berg View Post
    While I can appreciate the skills of aerobatics I seldom spend much time watching them. I did like Hoover and really liked the GB with Delmar. Most of the others seem pretty routine and I've been going to Oshkosh since the first one. What I do like is the flybys with vintage aircraft but "different things for different folks".
    The older I get, it seems the less I enjoy the "whiz-bang!" aerobatics stuff, and the more I enjoy the simple "Homebuilts on Parade" -- which seem to be in decline in recent years, dang it.

(Although this year will be the first airshow season since Mary and I started doing gentlemen's aerobatics in the RV, so it will be interesting to better understand the control inputs for their maneuvers.)

As for Bob Hoover, back in 1982 or 83 when I first started going to airshows I saw Bob fly in California, probably at Madera, but could have been Shafter. He came in on a long final for the north runway, and rolled inverted in his yellow P-51 and while inverted he lowered ( raised?) the gear, so that he was gear out, and ready to land at about a half mile final, but inverted. So he rolled upright and landed. I don't recall seeing him do this again, but he sure did that day.

I enjoy seeing the Oshkosh feature where the do a fly by starting with the oldest airplane and working to later rare ones, I think it is called Parade of Flight, and am not sure if they still do it.