Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favorite Oshkosh Air show routine?

Jim, that's awesome. I bet he did have some stories. I remember seeing Duane perform at Dayton (when I was a kid), and then he exhibited at my show in Phoenix in 1996 and sold his book and signed autographs. It was a thrill to have him there.
    Captain Denim
    Great air show and museum videos: https://www.youtube.com/43115

I'll echo the previous respondents' choice of Bob Hoover. I saw him perform here in Melbourne, Australia, a few years ago (we Aussies re-issued his licence) and he was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by captaindenim View Post
    .... Anyone out there remember Duane?
    Yeah, I do. Unfortunately, I never saw any of his airshow performances but read (and re-read) every article he wrote for Flying magazine.

Watching Steve Hinton put the F7F Tiger Cat through it's paces was pretty inspiring.

I loved the Snowbirds in the 70's, until Frecce Tricolore came through. They blew me away.

However, Bill Barber was the smoothest aerobatic pilot ever, and so graceful in his black Pitts.

For showmanship though, Big Ed Mahler and his Mennen Special (modified PJ-260) was over the top for his time, and his SkinBracer Aftershave scented corvus oil has never been topped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerdawg View Post
    Gotta mention Leo Loudenslager, too.
    I have the magnetic sign for Leo they used to slap on the VW he'd ride in after the show. I call it my Leo Loudenslager memorial tool box.Name:  photo(4).jpg
Views: 816
Size:  90.1 KB
    He was a great performer!

Another of my favorites (from the BEST SEAT IN THE HOUSE): John
    It's much more difficult than rocket science!
    It's more like helicopter aerodynamics!

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    I loved the Snowbirds in the 70's, until Frecce Tricolore came through. They blew me away.

However, Bill Barber was the smoothest aerobatic pilot ever, and so graceful in his black Pitts.

For showmanship though, Big Ed Mahler and his Mennen Special (modified PJ-260) was over the top for his time, and his SkinBracer Aftershave scented corvus oil has never been topped.
    I was at the Ramstein airshow in 87 and 88 and would've been literally blown away by the Frecce Tricolore had my wife not complained about being tired and me actually listening to her. We were front and center, close to the Blackhawk not thirty minutes before the crash. Took me several years to go to another airshow, but now I'm all healed up and fly every day at AirVenture :-)

I was on the PYRO team for MOD's first AirVenture show. It was as exciting as I've ever seen with three planes and a jet truck all belching smoke and fire :-) Sitting right under them rated as one of my aviation religious moments!

The WW II reenactments hands down.