Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to fly in at.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter_ca View Post
    Wow, $525 is the best i could see at this time. That's from Ontario, Ca to Appleton with two stops and 9 hours later. I remember i paid about that much 20 yrs ago with a last minute booking. What is usually the best time to book?
    I just keep monitoring the airline sites. I think I booked Jan 16th last year when I saw the price was that low. I said ~200, but I think it was in reality $230. I looked later in the year (April), and the flights were closer to $450 roundtrip. Like I said - all depends on your airline, competition, and any other sales that went on. I think Southwest started going to MKE, so that kind of kicked AA into gear lowering prices.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

And is Outagamie, the Appleton airport i would fly in at. Which is ORD, correct?

skeeter

Mke does sound like it could be a better deal, but it looks like i would have to rent a car for that. I was hoping to avoid that. At 85 miles i doubt a bus would be practical.

skeeter

Interstater
    ORD is Chicago -O'hare

Interstater
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Even had to spend the night once in LaCrosse (wintertime) when the GRB -> ORD flight was diverted. (side note: While staying in LaCrosse that night, I asked the desk clerk what was Lacrosse's claim to fame. "Well, we have the worlds largest six-pack!")
    Hey, I'm in La Crosse and there is more to the town than just the brewery and its aging tanks... maybe... kinda...oh never mind.

Wow, $525 is the best i could see at this time. That's from Ontario, Ca to Appleton with two stops and 9 hours later. I remember i paid about that much 20 yrs ago with a last minute booking. What is usually the best time to book?

skeeter
    I'm going from Tucson to Milwaukee in a couple of weeks for $278 round trip on AA to attend the Sonex workshop. I booked my ticket about two months ago. In my experience, Milwaukee is "usually" the cheapest (airfares are completely illogically and your point of origin may make this untrue). I like Madison (MSN) but it is almost always more expensive than Milwaukee. As always, your mileage (and price) may vary.

Bill

Twice I've flown in to Appleton commercially. The first time I just walked right out and hopped the bus. (My wife had brought the Navion with our son separately, I was on business travel).
    The second time (I had flown out early in the Navion and flew home commercial to go to work and then came back to retrieve wife and plane). That time I just struck up a conversation with the guys sitting around me on the plane. One had already reserved a car and he gave me and another guy a ride down to the show.

skeeter
    Try matrix.itasoftware.com for all your airfare searches. I'm a frequent flyer and it's BY FAR the best site out there. Once you find what you want, then go to the airline's website and book directly with them.

I flew into MKE this year for Oshkosh and it was relatively convenient. Madison (MSN) is a great little airport, too - I've flown there for work a couple times this year.
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.