Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Insurance Requirements for Experimentals (!?!)

New Insurance Requirements for Experimentals (!?!)

My insurer has a new policy on experimentals:
    1) Annual recurrent training in same make and model (preferably in the insured aircraft) in the form of an Instrument Proficiency Check
    2) BFR must be in same make and model as insured aircraft (preferably in the insured aircraft)
    3) Administering CFI/CFII must have 1000 hours total, 250 retractable gear, and 25 hours in exact make and model as the insured aircraft

Questions:
    1) Doesn't a CFI (or CFII) have to have an FAA letter of authorization to instruct in an experimental?
    2) Anyone know of a CFII in the northeast who can do a BFR & IPC in an experimental in the northeast US?

I'm trying to work this out to be less restrictive with the underwriter now, but until that's done I'm effectively grounded.

I'd appreciate any help/leads you can provide.

A LODA is only required to receive compensation for rental of the aircraft. You can still pay a CFI for his her time in YOUR aircraft.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Glas467 View Post
    My insurer has a new policy on experimentals:
    1) Annual recurrent training in same make and model (preferably in the insured aircraft) in the form of an Instrument Proficiency Check
    2) BFR must be in same make and model as insured aircraft (preferably in the insured aircraft)
    3) Administering CFI/CFII must have 1000 hours total, 250 retractable gear, and 25 hours in exact make and model as the insured aircraft
    sump'in' hints to me this might not apply to all EAB, every make and model and airframe. for example, many are not instrument-capable so IPC is impossible. so - are we talking glasair here?

Questions:
    1) Doesn't a CFI (or CFII) have to have an FAA letter of authorization to instruct in an experimental?
    No.
    2) Anyone know of a CFII in the northeast who can do a BFR & IPC in an experimental in the northeast US?
    No, but if you want to do a 25 hr flight review / IPC, I'm game, lol. 25 in type would be understandable if it's a twin, or turbine powered airplane but other than that, it's overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrmuetzel@juno.com View Post
    sump'in' hints to me this might not apply to all EAB, every make and model and airframe. for example, many are not instrument-capable so IPC is impossible. so - are we talking glasair here?
    Some of us don't even have a second seat for the CFI to ride in....

Actually, it does sound like things are change. I heard from a Fly Baby owner who was turned down for insurance by Falcon....

Ron Wanttaja

I can only find not-in-motion insurance for my Avenger when its setting in its hangar. Not even a quote for in-motion insurance. They want 800 bucks a year for not-in-motion coverage on this single seat EAB.

To clarify, the IPC requirement was for aircraft that are IFR certified and because I have an instrument rating ... If not IFR certified, then an annual checkride along the scope of a BFR is required.

To clarify, the IPC requirement was for aircraft that are IFR certified and because I have an instrument rating ... If not IFR certified, then an annual checkride along the scope of a BFR is required.
    All reasonable. What's not reasonable is 25 hrs for the CFI in "exact make and model as the insured aircraft." That usurps FAA requirements by a factor of ~10. Also, is a "Jones RV-4" and "Smith RV-4" the exact same make and model for the purpose of insurance requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Some of us don't even have a second seat for the CFI to ride in....

Actually, it does sound like things are change. I heard from a Fly Baby owner who was turned down for insurance by Falcon....

Ron Wanttaja
    Liability or just hull?
    Falcon's just an agency.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Liability or just hull?
    Falcon's just an agency.
    Liability. He said, 'Falcon tells me they do not write insurance for "my kind of airplane"'. Yet they just had renewed my policy.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 09-23-2013 at 10:17 PM.