Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New FAA Ruling ?

Ron, the news report did not say the FAA had done this yet, nor die I, but was expected to do so soon. So, in the next weeks we can see how accurate the report is, or not. My guess is that the media has this one substantially correct.

And Wes as to avoiding airline travel, well certainly TSA is a unpleasant experience, and some airlines are too. But they have their place. I just went from Aspen to Austin mostly on Southwest, for a football weekend. Out early am Fri and back by 10 pm Sun. We had torrential rains in the Denver area, I probably couldn't have flown it safely myself, and the fuel cost migth make it as expensive or more so that the airline.I've thought about taking my plane to Ft. Worth for AOPA summit, but again the airline will be about as cheap and not have to sweat the weather.

I recenlty flew my plane to Provo, Utah for a weekend. Less than 2 hours over in good vfr, and almost 3 days back due to IMC.

This is an interesting compilation of ASRS reports regarding PEDs that NASA has published. If I try harder I might be able to get more acronyms in a single sentence, but it's not easy. While many of the reports are not related to interference issues, some of them are and it's something to think about.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/docs/rpsts/ped.pdf
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    For those who don't like or don't believe this story, it was included in the 6 pm news on both CBS and NBC. The stories seem to say this change will be fairly soon, so we probably will know if I and the stories are correct or if those who believe in the bogey man are right.

And for Bob D, if you do actually work for a passenger airline as opposed to just having the ATP rating, do you think is it your company's idea of good customer relations to have you sitting in the cabin and annoying paying customers? Will you tell us what airline if any you are with? And do you really think the NTSB has so much spare time that they want to spend it on a report of a cell phone being left on, absent any accident or incident damage?
    And how do you "fire up" a cell phone? Is it like lighting a cutting or welding torch? Or maybe starting a Harley or P-51. Does it make a roar and emit exhaust fumes?

By the way, both news reports say this new policy will not include cell phones yet.
    Thanks for asking. Retired from Bristow after 25 yrs. nothing less than a comm in airplanes, helos, gliders. between 22,000 to 25,000 all acc/incident free. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Ron, the news report did not say the FAA had done this yet, nor die I, but was expected to do so soon. So, in the next weeks we can see how accurate the report is, or not. My guess is that the media has this one substantially correct.

YEA!? I belive the news!?!? I'm going to have to ask Captain Sum Ting Wong and see if he heard anything. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/epi...i-tu-lo_b97368
    Last edited by Hal Bryan; 09-25-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Fixed broken quote.

Quote Originally Posted by RV8505 View Post
    YEA!? I belive the news!?!? I'm going to have to ask Captain Sum Ting Wong and see if he heard anything. http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/epi...i-tu-lo_b97368

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    This is an interesting compilation of ASRS reports regarding PEDs that NASA has published. If I try harder I might be able to get more acronyms in a single sentence, but it's not easy. While many of the reports are not related to interference issues, some of them are and it's something to think about.

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/docs/rpsts/ped.pdf
    Ryan, thanks for that ASRS report. I spent a couple of hours in it. I knew about cell interference, but had no idea that so many devices were exploding or catching fire. What is needed is a window that can be opened in flight.
    Bob

Do the number of ASRS reports equal the number of reports of sightings of Bigfoot?
    And I hear that if the FAA does finally loosen their ridiculous rules on this, then the airlines are going to equip all the flight crews with those copper bracelets that you see sold on late night tv in order to ward off the evil spirits from a teenagers game boy.

The news report this Fri morning is that the FAA committee that has been studying PED use on airplanes has now recommended that things like laptops be allowed to be used on airplanes regardless of altitude.

And this news report is on FOX news so you know it must be true.

And for those who don't get their news through Rush Limpboy, MSNBC is reporting the same story.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-27-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Bill, these are professionals reporting their experiences. It is clear that your mind is closed on this subject, which is unfortunate. My mind is definitely open to the idea that PEDs don't bother airplane equipment, but I am also not going to discount the occasional report that may point otherwise.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529

Ryan, if you really believe that nonsense that a little cell phone or ipad is going to down an airliner, how could you feel safe flying on one? After all it is well known that not all people turn off their devices, and the recent survey showed that 11 % admitted not turning them off. Would they FAA let planes fly if they could really be damaged by 11 % of the passengers?
    Would you play Russian roulete with a gun if one of 10 chambers was loaded?

My mind is able to think, and if someone tells me a fairly tale that is not supported by facts, such as Not One real NTSB accident report the lists the real cause of a crash as a passenger using a P E D, as well as common sense, then I am not going to support such a false claim.

And as for as whose mind is closed, if the FAA does reverse it's long standing baloney, and P E D use becomes common without any more accidents because of it, then whose mind was full of bull?

As for "professionals" there are whole leagues of "professionals" ( means they get paid) who will tell you they never used performance enhancing drugs.

Years ago the professionals at airlines say women would not make good pilots and only about 10 years ago the pros at the FAA said pilots would not be safe to fly after age 60.

There are people whose profession is to sell you a stock or a used car or a mortgage. If you go shopping at these places, better take someone with you who is not so easily led.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-27-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Bill, it's quite clear you have made up your mind, which is great, but as shown in the ASRS reports, just because an accident hasn't occurred, doesn't mean there may be instances of interference. If you refuse to acknowledge the possibility, then it's tough to have a conversation. Really, talking with closed-minded individuals isn't that much fun. I'm willing to accept arguments from both sides to come to my conclusions; you are not. That's the difference here.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529