Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to grow a chapter?

Last edited by I_FLY_LOW; 10-16-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mexpilot View Post
    Why would you want minorities?
    Huh? As pilots, we're all a minority. Skin color, political affiliation, religion isn't important when we're talking aviation. But we might give you grief if you fly a kerosene burner.

-CubBuilder

Building membership is a three step process. First you have to get them in the door. Second, you have to make them feel welcome. Third you have to get them to enjoy coming to the second, and subsequent meetings.

The first step is actually the easiest. Pilots enjoy meeting and talking with other pilots. Task each of your current members to actually invite people they meet to come to a meeting. My chapter (1111 Kelso, WA) had a trifold flyer printed up. We did it on the cheap, printing it off of a computer printer. Post an announcement at the local FBO.

How many times have you had a guest show up for a meeting or two, and then disappear? The second step, making them feel welcome, is where we often fail. The most important thing you can do is to assign someone to pair up with a guest to introduce them to the other members. Don't just introduce them. Tell them something about each member and let a conversation develop. My chapter had name tags made up for each member. That way a guest doesn't have to be embarrassed for not remembering names. We also have a bio for each member posted on the wall with pictures of their airplane or project. This helps promote conversation and helps the guest get to know the members. Each member also stands up at the beginning of each meeting and states their name.

Lastly the third step is to get them to want to return. Task each member with making guests feel welcome. Let them know what will be happening at the next meeting. If the guest is interested in building a project, invite them to your hangar or home to see yours. Have something interesting planned for the next meeting. EAA has video designed just for chapter meetings. Or have someone do a talk about their project, or a fly-out. Have lots of pictures or videos. Unless it is an extremely interesting subject, having someone just stand up and talk about something is not nearly as interesting as a presentation with visual aids.

Have someone call the guest the day before the next meeting. Possibly the same person that introduced them to everyone at the first meeting.
    Last edited by Pearson; 12-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

That may be the best post on EAA Chapters I have read in a while.

What doesn't bring them back:

Ignoring new faces.

Bashing experimental aviation or one particular model of experimental aviation.

Having no communication with members.

I wondered for some time if this was me, but the more EAA members I talk to, the more I realize it is not. The problem is real.

Blue skies
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex 1517
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

I agree with Pearson, 100%.

I just left one local chapter only because I moved. Had I not moved, I would have stuck with them (690). They did a great job, very friendly, very welcoming, and I met some really nice people.

Now I'm in a new location, seeking out a local chapter, and I can only hope they turn out to be at least similar in style.

There is certainly foundation on the concerns of the Old Man's Breakfast Club that someone else mentioned. I still enjoy listening to the old guys talk and I take great attention to the experience and wisdom they pass on, there comes a time when we run out of things to connect on. And I can attest to the fact that many of my friends of a similar age know nothing and have no interest in aviation. Could that change? Sure. But the $40 per year isn't the concern. It goes a lot deeper than that, but I fear it's quite a bit more than I'd care to write in this thread.

Shocked

As a new EAA member(and a black man), I really hope this comment isn't a "majority" opinion of this community.
    Last edited by Wildcard; 02-16-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    As a new EAA member(and a black man), I really hope this comment isn't a "majority" opinion of this community.
    Although I started flying over 40'ty years ago, I'm also a new member to EAA. Interested in a local chapter, I had similar experiencing finding a local group, as has been discussed in this thread and similar threads.

It took some effort and time, but I finally connected with a local chapter and both my wife and I have joined. For the most part I have been welcomed with open arms both on the national and local levels. It was a bit stuffy at first, but maybe that had something to do with my expectations.

So, being a new guy as well, I don't pretend to speak for the EAA, but I just haven't found it to reflect any negative feelings towards minorities. When I watch the birds, I see black birds and white birds, birds with reds, greens and brown feathers, and all of them are flying. Pretty much the same with airplanes, there are some painted white, some painted black, blue and all color combinations of stripes and color schemes.....and they are all flying. I think the EAA is made up of all kinds of pilots (and non-pilots), flying all kinds and colors of aircraft, and would venture to say, we all started off watching all kinds of birds fly, before we took to the air.

So, Wildcard, Welcome Aboard. If you ever get to Arizona I would be delighted to introduce you to our chapter.

Best Regards.......George

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    Welcome aboard Wildcard.

I really hate it when folks or people call me white. I look at a wall or house painted white, walk up and put my arm to it. Do I look white? I call myself...American.

But I am Italian with some Native American in me. I am a mutt. Nothing white about me but my teeth and the older I get those are not so white anymore.

I long for an active club to be part of. Something where guys and gals are working on their airplanes and getting them in shape for another year. Where the group flies off to a lunch or something. But I have come to understand I am late in the game. We are in the finally 2 mins. of the 4th quarter. Most have already packed up and heading somewhere else.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Welcome aboard Wildcard.

I really hate it when folks or people call me white. I look at a wall or house painted white, walk up and put my arm to it. Do I look white? I call myself...American.

But I am Italian with some Native American in me. I am a mutt. Nothing white about me but my teeth and the older I get those are not so white anymore.

I long for an active club to be part of. Something where guys and gals are working on their airplanes and getting them in shape for another year. Where the group flies off to a lunch or something. But I have come to understand I am late in the game. We are in the finally 2 mins. of the 4th quarter. Most have already packed up and heading somewhere else.

Tony
    Well, I hate being called "Black", because that is as inaccurate a description of me as "white" is of you. What would be accurate would be "souls having a human experience", but good luck getting people to use that phrase instead of white, black, etc.

Thanks for the welcomes.

How about..Americans....just call all of us Americans...Lets not label anyone, if you belong to this country or passed your citizenship you are and we are....AMERICANS.

Just call me American.

Tony