Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning to start a 4 seater in Argentina

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Planning to start a 4 seater in Argentina

Hello all: My name is Sergio Luna and I am from Argentina.

I allways longed to build my own aicraft, my own design if possible, and now I found myelf starting to find time, space and money to start building.
    As I said, I'd love to build my own design but I think it might be faster, safer and overall better to build "from previuos experience".
    I was thinking something on the line of a 4 seater bede-4 since I saw it at 2000 Oshkosh and I loved it. Any other 4 seater that might take a Subaru auto engine might also do.

I am open to all suggestions, comments, critics and salutations!!

I will be attending my local chapter, of course but I want to hear from all of you too.

I'm an Argentinian Civil Aviation Authority aeronutical technician, aicraft mechanic. Also a FAA A&P and I have an Industrial Engeeniering degree.

Try the Zenith 640. A friend of mine built one and its a really nice airplane. See the website at http://www.kit-plane.com/index640.html

Big Grin

Thank you for your tip, I did not know this Zenith aircraft, will go to my folder of aicraft candidates.

What do you guys think of Bob Barrow's Bearhawk?
    Please have in mind that I'm not thinking on having a kit since it's kinda hard to get it to clear customs easilly.

Thanks in advance for you comments!!

Cheers from Argentina!!

Bearhawk

I followed the Bearhawk Builder Group for several years and it would be my first choice for a homebuilt 4 place. It can be built completely from scratch or there are partial or complete kits available. Russ Erb (EAA Chap 1000) was one of the early scratch builders and disseminater of useful info. Budd Davisson, an aviation writer, reviewed the Bearhawk and couldn't let go. He and others developed a kit version of the Bearhawk which speeds up construction, although requires $$$.

I have been working and building automotive engines on and off since around 1951 and later, after retiring, taking automotive classes at the local Community College. A few years back, I stumbled on a discussion group interested in the Masda Wankel Rotary engine for experimental aircraft use. It took me about a year to shed all my biases for four stroke piston engines and decide The Masda Rotary would be my choice for any experimental that I decided to build. Unfortunately, I now think time for me is running out, Just turned 77

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by sdluna View Post
    Thank you for your tip, I did not know this Zenith aircraft, will go to my folder of aicraft candidates.

What do you guys think of Bob Barrow's Bearhawk?
    Please have in mind that I'm not thinking on having a kit since it's kinda hard to get it to clear customs easilly.

Thanks in advance for you comments!!

Cheers from Argentina!!
    I also have a friend who built the 640...lots of room, and great performance using a Franklin 220. Sounds like a kit isn't what you are looking for though...the Bearhawk is a fantastic airplane. Too bad the Wittman Big X never went anywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by jmay2174 View Post
    Unfortunately, I now think time for me is running out, Just turned 77

Joel
    Don't say that Joel! Paul is building at 90! Get started!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    I also have a friend who built the 640...lots of room, and great performance using a Franklin 220. Sounds like a kit isn't what you are looking for though...the Bearhawk is a fantastic airplane. Too bad the Wittman Big X never went anywhere...
    I'm not sure it is on my scope just because of the customs issue, and might like better the performance and ease of flight a high wing provides. It's is on the candidates folder, going trough evaluation.
    As far as I read, Bearhawk might find me better equipped to build.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Jensen View Post
    Don't say that Joel! Paul is building at 90! Get started!
    YEA!

I followed the Bearhawk Builder Group for several years and it would be my first choice for a homebuilt 4 place. It can be built completely from scratch or there are partial or complete kits available. Russ Erb (EAA Chap 1000) was one of the early scratch builders and disseminater of useful info. Budd Davisson, an aviation writer, reviewed the Bearhawk and couldn't let go. He and others developed a kit version of the Bearhawk which speeds up construction, although requires $$$.
    thanks a lot for this info, will look it up.

I have been working and building automotive engines on and off since around 1951 and later, after retiring, taking automotive classes at the local Community College. A few years back, I stumbled on a discussion group interested in the Masda Wankel Rotary engine for experimental aircraft use. It took me about a year to shed all my biases for four stroke piston engines and decide The Masda Rotary would be my choice for any experimental that I decided to build. Unfortunately, I now think time for me is running out, Just turned 77

Joel
    Wankel engines have so many good qualities for an aero engine you just can miss it. Too bad is easier to get a Legacy engine than a Mazda engine at Argentina. I'm even looking up for a formerly certified angine to rebuild and use as experimental (continental or similar). And.. NO.. YOU ARE NOT running outta time! my dad will start working with me and he is 78!!!

Do you have an idea of price range on Franklin engines for experimentals?

I only saw a quote on certified kit for Cessna 175 replacement and might be as expensive to me here as to buy a whole aircraft!

Thanks again!

The Zenith CH640 is an excellent choice and can be scratch built. I am also very familiar with the Bearhawk, which is an excellent choice for a four place aircraft.

If the Zenith meets your needs, I have two sets of plans to part with. My needs have changed and I am currently aiming for ELSA.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by famscheid View Post
    The Zenith CH640 is an excellent choice and can be scratch built. I am also very familiar with the Bearhawk, which is an excellent choice for a four place aircraft.

If the Zenith meets your needs, I have two sets of plans to part with. My needs have changed and I am currently aiming for ELSA.

Regards.
    Thank you very much!!