Thread: EAA Member Killed in Navy Yard Shooting

EAA Member Killed in Navy Yard Shooting

As posted on EAA site:
    EAA Member Among Those Killed in Washington Navy Yard Shooting

Navy Yard shooting victim
    September 18, 2013 - EAA extends its condolences to the family and friends of Michael Arnold of Lorton, Virginia, who was among the 12 people shot and killed by a gunman at the Washington (D.C.) Navy Yard on Monday.
    Michael had been an EAA member since 2004 and was also a member of EAA Chapter 186 based in Manassas, Virginia. He was building a Sonex.
    More information on Michael is posted on the Washington Postwebsite.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Michael was a fellow EAA Chapter 186 member. I first met Mike 2 years ago when we both volunteered to be members of the EAA’s B-17 ground crew when it visited Washington DC in 2011. We both were selected to ride on the plane when they repositioned it to New Jersey. Mike arranged for a rental van and drove us back to Virginia after the flight. After that we had a number of discussions about aircraft building. I was knee deep in my own aircraft project and was more than willing to give him my perspective. Eventually he took the plunge and started building a Sonex at his home in Lorton. Back in November 12 he was one of the crew that volunteered to help me move my RV-10 from my house to my hangar at Manassas Regional. Mike was one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet – he will be truly missed. Tailwinds and clear skies Michael!
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Michael was a fellow EAA Chapter 186 member. I first met Mike 2 years ago when we both volunteered to be members of the EAA’s B-17 ground crew when it visited Washington DC in 2011. We both were selected to ride on the plane when they repositioned it to New Jersey. Mike arranged for a rental van and drove us back to Virginia after the flight. After that we had a number of discussions about aircraft building. I was knee deep in my own aircraft project and was more than willing to give him my perspective. Eventually he took the plunge and started building a Sonex at his home in Lorton. Back in November 12 he was one of the crew that volunteered to help me move my RV-10 from my house to my hangar at Manassas Regional. Mike was one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet – he will be truly missed. Tailwinds and clear skies Michael!
    Sorry for the loss of your friend Michael.

Yes, very sorry to hear. Tragic event for all involved.