Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum tweaks and suggestions

Forum tweaks and suggestions

Hal and company,

Great job getting this up and running. There are a few suggestions though that may make it even better. I figure folks can add on as well...

[s]Allow us to strike through text using the code that's around this sentence.[/s]

On the Purple Board, we have some code that will allow users to imbed video from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. It might be fun to allow users to embed video. I can email/PM an example from our boiler room if you want to know how to set it up.

DO NOT allow users to embed HTML code. (It's a giant hole for hackers to take over!!)

More smileys!! Better smileys!! Rob 'em from the other boards like I did!!

Make the default subscription mode "Do not subscribe" when new users sign up.

Make new users click on a link in a confirmation email before allowing them to post (cuts down on spam).

Allow bigger avatars (we allow 150x150 on the Purple Board).

I think there's a thread on this, but upload Tapatalk. It's free.

Allow a bunch of PMs to be saved (a few hundred)

Put a window at the bottom of a thread that will allow users to post with out having to click "reply" somewhere.

Make menus consistent through all screens.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure others will have more.
    Last edited by Anymouse; 07-20-2011 at 06:02 AM.

I agree with the above post and would also suggest a master heading of -- (( Young Eagles )) for comments on that important program !

Congrats on the new board! I've updated my profile twice, but after pressing the "save profile" button all the fields are reset. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Anymouse View Post
    Hal and company,
    On the Purple Board, we have some code that will allow users to imbed video from YouTube, Vimeo, etc. It might be fun to allow users to embed video. I can email/PM an example from our boiler room if you want to know how to set it up.
    Isn't that already there in the advanced editor?

DO NOT allow users to embed HTML code. (It's a giant hole for hackers to take over!!)
    Agree

Agree, but EAA is a big corporation. Don't want to "borrow" them due to the possibility of lawsuits.

Make the default subscription mode "Do not subscribe" when new users sign up.
    Was coming here to suggest that myself. Can it be made automatic subscribe for the original poster only?

Make new users click on a link in a confirmation email before allowing them to post (cuts down on spam).
    Makes sense.

Allow bigger avatars (we allow 150x150 on the Purple Board).
    Are the avatars being shrunk even more than the 100X100 they're being uploaded at? I uploaded a 151X151 image, and it displays at 80X80.

I think there's a thread on this, but upload Tapatalk. It's free.
    or how about a mobile style, such as http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=249277

Are PMs used that much, and do they usually need to be saved? Personally, I don't usually have more than 5 on any message board since I keep things in regular email. Or maybe I just don't have that many friends.

Put a window at the bottom of a thread that will allow users to post with out having to click "reply" somewhere.
    Isn't there a "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom, or has the just been added?

On an additional question, did Network Solutions grab the eaaforums.com address when the .org was registered?
    Last edited by PaulDow; 07-20-2011 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDow View Post
    Isn't that already there in the advanced editor?

I guess it does. We had to put all those in manually with the older version of vBulletin.

BTW... I filmed this while flying past some fjords in Greenland.

Agree, but EAA is a big corporation. Don't want to "borrow" them due to the possibility of lawsuits.

There's plenty of good ones out there that are public domain. But yeah, don't want to get anyone wound up.

Are PMs used that much, and do they usually need to be saved? Personally, I don't usually have more than 5 on any message board since I keep things in regular email. Or maybe I just don't have that many friends.
    You need to get out more!!

Actually, I'm a pack rat with PMs. I haven't looked at how many they're letting us have, but I can always go for more!!

Isn't there a "Reply to Thread" button at the bottom, or has the just been added?
    Nah, that's the default. I just hate having to click on a reply button when a simply screen can be put on the bottom.
    Replies above... ^^^
    Last edited by Anymouse; 07-20-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Kriley View Post
    Congrats on the new board! I've updated my profile twice, but after pressing the "save profile" button all the fields are reset. What's up with that?
    I'm having a similar issue with my signature Phil...some minor bugs I bet with the new software

I like the colors of the forum BTW!
    Chad Jensen
    EAA #755575

Hal,

Looks good but, although I've up loaded my photo to my Profile, it doesn't show up in my posts.

That's an easy one. You have a profile picture and an avatar picture. The avatar picture is what shows up on your posts. If you load it up there, it should be good to go.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

Thanks!

Search Button

You really need one.
    I found it under FAQ but would like a bigger, better button!

Or have I just missed it?