Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can public airports/airstrips prohibit Ultralights?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Finney View Post
    They can, and do. I'm working with an airport to get that restriction lifted.
    The USUA has a manual about airport access. In the back is a list of all the airports that are public use [it's been a while since I looked at it but my understanding is they took Federal money]. Early on some thought they had the authority to restrict ultralights but they did not. The local FSDOs were often a big help in getting restrictions lifted and getting some airports squared away on what they can and can't do.

If you are trying to get access to an airport, the manual provides some information about how to do that. Might be worth ordering a copy to see if there is anything you haven't thought of in your efforts.

-Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    The USUA has a manual about airport access. In the back is a list of all the airports that are public use [it's been a while since I looked at it but my understanding is they took Federal money]. Early on some thought they had the authority to restrict ultralights but they did not. The local FSDOs were often a big help in getting restrictions lifted and getting some airports squared away on what they can and can't do.

If you are trying to get access to an airport, the manual provides some information about how to do that. Might be worth ordering a copy to see if there is anything you haven't thought of in your efforts.

-Buzz

This particular airport HAD a unique situation. There was a UL operation only a mile or two away, and the ULers, despite repeated warnings, would take off from the UL field, do touch-and-goes at the public airport (without any attempt to establish themselves in the pattern), and then go back to the UL field. So, this airport established a blanket prohibition against ULs. The UL operation probably went away over 25 years ago, but no one ever thought about getting rid of the prohibition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Finney View Post
    This particular airport HAD a unique situation. There was a UL operation only a mile or two away, and the ULers, despite repeated warnings, would take off from the UL field, do touch-and-goes at the public airport (without any attempt to establish themselves in the pattern), and then go back to the UL field. So, this airport established a blanket prohibition against ULs. The UL operation probably went away over 25 years ago, but no one ever thought about getting rid of the prohibition.
    That's the kind of airspace abuse that established the bad reputation the UL community is trying to recover from even after 25 years.....
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Just a little bit of self discipline in getting into "the books" and doing some self teaching and always flying with a radio could have prevented lots of headaches over the years it sounds like.
    Hy-Tek Hurricane 103