Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilots Operating Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post

Mine do, but no one put anything in those spots, so not real sure what OP's you speak of. But Mine do. I believe this is why they call them " Operating Limitations ".
    I am wondering it you have a document somebody created in place of the op lims that were issued with the airworthiness certificate. The operating limitations are part of the required documentation along with the airworthiness certificate. The op lims are written strictly according to guidelines set for by the FAA, and DARs have to follow them.

Performance data is not a part of the FAA's op lims.....it can't be because the aircraft hasn't flown at the time the airworthiness cert and op lims is issued.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Performance data is not a part of the FAA's op lims.....it can't be because the aircraft hasn't flown at the time the airworthiness cert and op lims is issued.
    Sam, my FAA-standard operating limitations do indeed include performance data. Maybe not the full set in your eyes, but I must document Vso, Vx, Vy, and Weight/CG numbers in my certification when I finished Phase 1.

Also, Sonex LLC provides a "Flight Manual" with their kits, which for all intents and purposes contains most of the same material that could be contained in a POH. The builder, of course, my "fill in the blanks" with data obtained/calculated from flight test Phase 1 activities.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Sam, my FAA-standard operating limitations do indeed include performance data. Maybe not the full set in your eyes, but I must document Vso, Vx, Vy, and Weight/CG numbers in my certification when I finished Phase 1.

Also, Sonex LLC provides a "Flight Manual" with their kits, which for all intents and purposes contains most of the same material that could be contained in a POH. The builder, of course, my "fill in the blanks" with data obtained/calculated from flight test Phase 1 activities.
    Carl,

I'm curious--is your aircraft E-AB or E-LSA?

There have been changes in Op Lims over the years, looks like there may be some Op Lims out there different from the ones I've always seen. Here are a couple of useful links:

An article by Joe Norris, EAA: http://www.eaa.org/experimenter/arti...01_darside.asp

An example of the exact wording that has historically been used for Op Lims: http://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part91-319-FAR.shtml

But I did find this version of the Op Lims which must be the ones being referred to with various speeds: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...52288139,d.dmg

By the way, if your Op Lims have the speed fields, and they have not been recorded in the aircraft logs along with the correct wording for the release from Phase 1, the aircraft is still in Phase 1 and must be confined to Phase 1 restrictions!

Interesting.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 09-18-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    Sam Buchanan

Hi, Sam;

I'm an E/AB. Received AW in June 2012. The speed fields are part of para 4 in Phase 1 limitations. Exact quote:

4. All test flights, as a minimum, must be conducted under day VFR only. Guidance concerning the scope and detail of test flights can be found in AC 90-89. Following satisfactory completion of the required number of flight hours in the flight test area, the pilot must certify in the records that the aircraft has been shown to comply with 14CFR 91.391(b). Compliance with 14CFR 91.319(b) must be recorded in the aircraft records with the following oar a similarly worded statement: "I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been completed and the aircraft is controllable throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso __________, Vx _________, and Vy ______, and the weight _______ and CG location _______ at which they were obtained."

PS: Yes, these are recorded in the aircraft log book, so I am in Phase II.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl,

By the way, if your Op Lims have the speed fields, and they have not been recorded in the aircraft logs along with the correct wording for the release from Phase 1, the aircraft is still in Phase 1 and must be confined to Phase 1 restrictions!

Interesting.

The airplane has had its 40 hrs flown off and signed. Its been inspected by the FAA since I have owned it and they say its all been done and logged, my logs have been looked over really good by those whom really care what they say. Both the inspectors could not understand how this was missed. They told me to fly her as I have been according to the three ring binder info and that it would be best if I did indeed find these numbers.
    But she has indeed been flown off and signed in log book.

Any chance on you putting up a copy of your ops limit booklet?
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Any chance on you putting up a copy of your ops limit booklet?
    At the risk of beating this dead horse to a pulp....one more clarification.

The Operating Limitations is not a booklet. It is a two or three page document (mine are two pages, sounds like it may include a few more paragraphs now) that MUST be in the aircraft along with the airworthiness certificate, certificate of registration and weight/balance document. The Op Lims is part of the Airworthiness Certificate and each is worthless without the other!

The Operating Limitations doc is issued by the DAR and can not be modified by the holder of the airworthiness certificate. It is worded according to the strict guidelines the DAR must follow. If info about V-speeds is included in an Ops Lims, that info is to be written not on the Ops Lims doc, but included in the very specifically worded endorsement entered in the aircraft logs at the end of Phase One testing.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 09-19-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Sam Buchanan

At the risk of beating this dead horse to a pulp....one more clarification.

The Operating Limitations is not a booklet. It is a two or three page document (mine are two pages, sounds like it may include a few more paragraphs now) that MUST be in the aircraft along with the airworthiness certificate, certificate of registration and weight/balance document. The Op Lims is part of the Airworthiness Certificate and each is worthless without the other!

The Operating Limitations doc is issued by the DAR and can not be modified by the holder of the airworthiness certificate. It is worded according to the strict guidelines the DAR must follow. If info about V-speeds is included in an Ops Lims, that info is to be written not on the Ops Lims doc, but included in the very specifically worded endorsement entered in the aircraft logs at the end of Phase One testing.
    Yep. FAA Order 8130.2, look it up yussef. Or see:

http://www.faa-aircraft-certificatio...mitations.html

D'oh!

I meant the POH.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.