Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pilots Operating Handbook

Pilots Operating Handbook

What are we expected to have in the way of a POH? In my specific case, it's a very simple airplane: Single place, VW powered, Day VFR, taildragger. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by N404CX View Post
    What are we expected to have in the way of a POH? In my specific case, it's a very simple airplane: Single place, VW powered, Day VFR, taildragger. Thanks.
    Aircraft with an experimental airworthiness certificate are not required to have a POH. But there is no reason you can't produce a POH if you wish after you have test flown the aircraft and collected data. It might be helpful to a new owner provided the numbers in the POH are still valid.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Aircraft with an experimental airworthiness certificate are not required to have a POH. But there is no reason you can't produce a POH if you wish after you have test flown the aircraft and collected data. It might be helpful to a new owner provided the numbers in the POH are still valid.
    Interesting Sam, I just had my airworthiness inspection today and the DAR wanted to see it. Wasn't a problem because I had one, wonder what he would have said/done if I didn't.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

You'd probably be advised to show that any necessary operating limits are reflected somewhere (panel placards, etc...).

I believe these are called Operating Limitation on a Home built not POH.
    MY A&P wanted to see my operating limitations, so I pulled the paper work out of its holder. When we looked at them no one filled in any of the information. No stall speeds or anything was filled out. So I found the 3 ring binder I had for this airplane and copied all this info form that. Now is it correct, I doubt it, but it is posted on my panel.

When my A&P told me he wanted this posted on the panel I said, why? Only I fly this airplane. I have been flying this plane without this info on my panel, why do I need it? He said for safety and the FAA.
    I do a lot of things for safety and I see no benefit in terms of safety by having this info on my panel, and if anyone but me is flying this airplane it was stolen for no one flies my airplane. He said how do you know the speeds this airplane flies at. I handed him the three ring binder and said look for yourself. I will never fly over VNE. The rest I fly by seat of pants. I need no ASI to fly these little planes. What I need is my butt for these are flown by seat of pants and stick and rudder.

One reason they are so much fun to fly, everyone else can keep the 172's and such. I love my EAB.

Tony.

I am a loser...Know how I know.....Lottery tells me ever day........

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Interesting Sam, I just had my airworthiness inspection today and the DAR wanted to see it. Wasn't a problem because I had one, wonder what he would have said/done if I didn't.
    Several problems here. First, a POH IS NOT REQUIRED PER REGULATION. Your DAR is making up rules as he goes......

Second...how can you create a POH with stall speeds, etc, etc, when the plane hasn't even flown???????

Type certificated aircraft have a POH because they are built exactly the same way as the conforming test article. But every experimental aircraft (E-LSA excepted) is unique.

Your DAR may have wanted to see a POH (even though there is no way to make a valid one), but he can't require it for issuing the Experimental Airworthiness Certificate.
    Sam Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I believe these are called Operating Limitation on a Home built not POH.
    MY A&P wanted to see my operating limitations, so I pulled the paper work out of its holder. When we looked at them no one filled in any of the information. No stall speeds or anything was filled out. So I found the 3 ring binder I had for this airplane and copied all this info form that. Now is it correct, I doubt it, but it is posted on my panel.
    Op Lims does not contain performance information. It is strictly for stating what is required for legally operating the aircraft per its registration.
    Sam Buchanan

Op Lims does not contain performance information. It is strictly for stating what is required for legally operating the aircraft per its registration.

Mine do, but no one put anything in those spots, so not real sure what OP's you speak of. But Mine do. I believe this is why they call them " Operating Limitations ".
    Last edited by 1600vw; 09-18-2013 at 10:44 AM.

Several problems here. First, a POH IS NOT REQUIRED PER REGULATION. Your DAR is making up rules as he goes......

Second...how can you create a POH with stall speeds, etc, etc, when the plane hasn't even flown???????

Type certificated aircraft have a POH because they are built exactly the same way as the conforming test article. But every experimental aircraft (E-LSA excepted) is unique.

Your DAR may have wanted to see a POH (even though there is no way to make a valid one), but he can't require it for issuing the Experimental Airworthiness Certificate.
    Thanks Sam, I agree. I made my POH from figures from Van's on my model. I am sure I will be updating it for my airplane as I flight test.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org