Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrated sport pilot student

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schwartz View Post
    Last January, right after I soloed, my flight school sold their LSA. The closest rentable LSA is a 2.5 hour drive away. With my schedule only allowing me to fly on weekends combined with Michigan weather, I managed only 5 lessons this summer. Bouncing between 2 instructors with very different teaching methods, I have not soloed the new plane. With winter coming it seems less likely that I could finish my training anytime soon. I have been thinking about going someplace that offers accelerated training. I would like to hear about other people's experiences with these schools. I'll be heading to Orlando for vacation this December, if anyone could recommend something in central Florida.Thanks,Larry
    Hang in there. I soloed in 1985 and finished in 2011. Why not train for a private pilot license and proceed to solo, then transition to sport pilot (or finish the private). A Cessna 150 cannot be much different than a sky catcher. As an aside I am based in SE MI and there is a sky catcher for rent at KVLL

Quote Originally Posted by Rick F View Post
    I'm in Eaton, Ohio and interested in LSA but can't find any instructors in vicinity. Anyone know of anyplace close? I am halfway between Dayton, Ohio and Richmond, In------------rick
    It's not the closest from where you're at... but Stewart's Aircraft Service in Waynesville, OH (SE of Dayton) rents Cubs and Champs and instructs in them. That's where I learned to fly and it's a great place - can't recommend it enough.
    My flying/training adventures:
    amileofrunway.blogspot.com

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

Would anyone who has attended Lockwood's two week course mind going into detail what the actual course was really like? Meaning, what did you actually do on a daily basis. Also, do you think the course could be finished in less than two weeks by someone who's just about ready to solo, but no longer has access to a Light Sport plane? Many thanks

I finished the course in less than two weeks.(Barely!) It was a lot of work. I had passed my written the week before and was well prepared for the oral. I had lots of hours for a student because I was driving 16 hours roundtrip every weekend, that the weather was good, to the place where I was training. (That's another long story!) I was ready to solo the second day at Lockwood. Jeff, my instructor, was great! We didn't waste a minute. The only limiting factors were how fast I could absorb the training and just pure fatigue. Romke is the DPE there. He actually flies with you a couple of times so you get accustomed to being with him before your checkride. He is very knowledgeable and fair. Every experience I had with everyone there was most professional. They really moved heaven and earth to make sure I had the plane whenever I needed it. They even reserved it for me for the entire day after I got my ticket so my lovely and long suffering wife could go fly with me around Florida. They also have a deal on hotel rooms. If you would like more info email me at chick@chickbartlett.com or just call at 770-595-9942. It was a very enjoyable experience. I would highly recommend them.