Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can public airports/airstrips prohibit Ultralights?

Can public airports/airstrips prohibit Ultralights?

And I'm not talking about towered airports I understand the procedures for getting access to them I'm talking about non-towered airports and airports that aren't even attended.

I ask because I was looking at places I had flown into back home in Texas. Lake Whitney being one of those places. Out in the middle of nowhere, not even an attended airstrip at a state park. I found this on airnav

Additional Remarks

A96 ULTRALIGHT ACFT PROHIBITED.
    http://www.airnav.com/airport/F50

A96 would be the FAA NFDC code related to ultralights, but that specific remark is missing from their airport info page: https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/servic...?airportId=F50

It is listed in the latest A/FD, however: http://aeronav.faa.gov/pdfs/sc_365_22AUG2013.pdf

Sounds like it is time to make a quick call to the local FSDO: (817) 491-5000

They can, and do. I'm working with an airport to get that restriction lifted.

103.17 Operations in certain airspace.
    No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.
    Most non-towered airports will be Class G up to 700' AGL. Non-towered airports under lateral boundaries of Class E are not very common in most parts of the country. We have one in our area--it is a holdover from when there was a flight service station on the field years ago.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

If the airport received Federal funds in the past, then ultralights must be allowed.

Lake Whitney is under no airspace at all

http://skyvector.com/?ll=31.92512506...&plan=A.K4.F50

It's close to some but not quite.

I'm not calling anyone at this moment I'm still stationed in Southern California and won't be going home with my bird for at least another 2 years. I was mainly just curious if they could do that.

As I stated in my original post I understand that section of the FARs.
    Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    Lake Whitney is under no airspace at all
    Yep, it is. Class G. But if you're in San Diego, Texas probably seems like a big empty sky?

My point was it's not under any airspace that I would be restricted from flying though/over as long as I didn't go east.

Flying around here in SD actually isn't too bad. The airspace I'm under at the home field is high enough and you really don't have to go too far to get out from under it.
    Hy-Tek Hurricane 103