Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your AVIATION Bucket List?

Big Grin What's on your AVIATION Bucket List?

We've talked about our OSHKOSH Bucket Lists before, but what about our Aviation Bucket Lists?
    I'd love to hear yours - here are a few of my dream items to get us started (in no particular order). Some are very achievable...others might be a little ridiculous:

1. Learn to Fly (Check! Done!)
    2. Learn to Fly Tailwheels (Check! Done!)
    3. Fly in an Open Cockpit Biplane
    4. Build an Airplane
    5. Own an Aircraft
    6. Go to OSH (Check! Done!)
    7. Fly in a Military Jet (I'm looking at you Blue Angels/Thunderbirds/U2)
    8. Get my Seaplane Rating
    9. Fly in a Hot Air Balloon (Check! Done!)
    10. Try Powered Parachuting
    11. Fly in an ultralight (or a Light Sport 2 Seat Version of one).
    12. Fly a LONG cross country in something slow (Cub from East to West Coast ala "Flight of Passage" Style?)
    13. Fly in an air race.
    14. Go Bush Flying in Alaska
    15. Set an Aviation Record
    16. Go Skydiving (Why would anyone jump out of a perfectly good airplane?)
    17. IFR Rating
    18. Commercial Rating
    19. CFI Rating
    20. Two Words: Virgin Galactic
    21. Learn to Fly Gliders
    22. Learn to Fly Helicopters
    23. Fly in a Dog Fight (Check! Done! I puked: http://youtu.be/1r7upDbnmH4 )
    24. Fly to the Bahamas
    25. Fly a Young Eagle (Fly a TON of them!)
    26. Fly an Eagle (Fly a TON of them too!)
    27. Ski Flying!
    28. Become an EarthRounder
    29. Fly a WWII Warbird
    30. See if I really could land a 747 in an emergency (In a simulator, calm down!)
    31. Land a Piper Cub on top of a truck.

So what would you add to "The List"?

Personally, I would add fly an open cockpit pilot as PIC over an old airmail route. Your list is a great one! Thanks for sharing!

Robbie Culver
    (building a Sonex, and have 3000 jumps, my private certificate and an instrument rating)
    Robbie Culver
    Sonex #1517
    Taildragger
    AeroVee
    Currently working on the wings
    Chicagoland

Banned
    Fun topic and for me very timely. While I never would have ever imagined the following 2 items on a personal bucket list, present circumstances as of this past Monday, now make them a possible reality: Flying(not as PIC) an airplane from the United Kingdom to Toronto over the North Atlantic and becoming familiar with an all glass cockpit. Let me explain.

Two partners and myself are seriously considering purchasing a plane equipped with a G1000 that is in England. If all goes well in the next 10 days to 2 weeks, we have opted to have it ferried over by a professional ferry pilot rather than dismantled and shipped in a container(much cheaper and far less hassle). There is room for one passenger. None of us have much familiarity with glass so one of us could get about a 22 hour head start on being checked out. The thought of flying the North Atlantic in a SE airplane is intimidating and frankly scares the s**t out of me(even though Alcock and Brown were the first to do it 94 years ago) but what an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience it would be.

Still thinking about it. We are sending our Aircraft Maintence Enginner(AME) to the UK to meet the selller's AME to do the pre-inspection. If all is in order, one of us just might make the thrill of a lifetime flight...or not

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    flying the North Atlantic in a SE airplane is intimidating and frankly scares the s**t out of me(even though Alcock and Brown were the first to do it 94 years ago) but what an incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience it would be.

Still thinking about it.
    Do it!

The last thing I want to die of is old age.

I'm going to take an aerobatics course.

Finish the darned Nieuport!

Land at every non-towered public airfield in Alabama.

Make a planned and powered off-airport landing. Take off from same without need of repair.

Go to Oshkosh. And Garner.

Learn to swagger and scowl instead of the goofy OMG OMG OMG I'M A PILOT sort of bouncy walk and grin that I still do after two years when walking towards or away from an aircraft that I am PIC of.

Hand prop an aircraft.

Ask for an advisory from the Unicorn when 10 miles out and see if it responds with a runway (I'm a sucker for bad puns and jokes).
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Never, ever get rid of that goofy OMG bouncy walk and grin! YOU ARE A PILOT! That is a 1/10 of 1% kind of thing. (Oh my gosh, I just realized AirVenture this year was my 30th anniversary as a pilot.) Anyway, I STILL grin whenever I see my plane -- or any other plane I am about to fly. You know why? Because I AM ABOUT TO FLY!

Goggles

Guys these are all great bucket lists! I'm going to add a bunch of these to my personal list.
    How could I forget aerobatics - maybe in my case "gentleman's (gentlewoman's) aerobatics" are more in order given my propensity to hurl.

I agree with Mayhemxpc, Frank. NEVER lose the OMG bouncy walk - that's what this is all about.

Floatsflyer - I agree with Ted. DO IT!

I actually just checked one off of my list that I hadn't thought about - $100 hamburger. It's a simple one, but I'm so glad I finally did it. Flew my Dad on Friday to a local field with a restaurant. Taxied up, walked in, and had the biggest and stupidest grin on my face. The burger wasn't half bad, I guess the fish is great too (KSBM).

DC3 Type rating.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

That's a good list, Ryan. Most of those would be on my list if I thought about it. Here are a few others on mine...

• Go to Oshkosh
    • Fly Young Eagles
    • Set the world endurance record for a SEL plane (yes, I know the FAI isn't accepting new records, but I still want to do it.)
    • Solo a P-51D Mustang (not so much for the experience as for what I have to do to get there.)
    • Race at Reno (any class)
    • Get into competition aerobatics

Those are just a few. Being young I'd imagine most of those are pretty unrealistic, but hey...that's what bucket lists are for.
    Classic airplanes at historic Red Stewart Airfield, Waynesville, OH: http://s1075.beta.photobucket.com/us...ic%20Airplanes

Weaver,
    if you are young, they are more realistic than if you are old! Time can bring opportunities you never thought possible. Unfortunately, it also brings you to a place where they are no longer possible. Dream big and go for them all, most regrets come from having not even tried. For the record, I'm in the middle of the age,dream thing. jim