Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VPZ - Locals, Chapters, Etc.

VPZ - Locals, Chapters, Etc.

Hi Everyone,

I am fairly new to the area (VPZ as of June, 2013) and was looking at joining my local chapter (104). I sent an email via their webpage requesting some info a while back, but I didn't get a response. I'm an EAA member, but didn't succeed to really get deeply involved yet with a local chapter. I spent some time with 690 at LZU, but it was only for about 6-7 months, and then I ended up moving to my current location. What I remember from 690 was pretty positive. They were very active, had a lot of events (even if they were small), and were quick on communication.

Just curious if anyone knows anything, or is part of the 104 chapter here at VPZ. I don't want this to come off negative because I mentioned that I didn't get a response...that isn't my intention. Things happen, messages get lost, etc, and I've got no issue or grudge with that. Just doing a little research since from what I can tell, they only get together once a month.

A little background...I'm a student pilot, but I've been around aviation for most of my life, as my family were EAA members, pilots, and club members (3C1). I've got 10-20 hours in, but love to tinker, go up, and take part in hangar talk. Although I'm working on my ticket, for a few hours on an evening or weekend I don't mind helping buddies wash the plane, change the oil, or go up for a bit.

I hear we've got a great airport here at VPZ, but I haven't had the time yet to explore, as we've been getting settled in after the move. I'd like to get back into the community a bit, so I'm just reaching out. I hang out a bit over at the POA forum, but there really isn't anyone close to me. Also looking for some recommendations for the flight school choices here at VPZ (leaning towards Eagle Aviation).

Any locals, EAA members, anyone with info, feel free to reach out, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing I know about that chapter is they used to sell sandwiches to people stopping there on the way to Oshkosh (VPZ is the last real stop before Chicago land, back before we had the Navion with it's 100 gallons of fuel, we'd stop there).

Great to see you aboard. You will find that most these chapters are going out. Even if someone like me or you approached them, they do not want anything to do with us. Now not all chapters are like this but 90%.

I have also contacted EAA clubs and had the same results as you. I believe the answer is start a new club. The guys in the clubs I mention do not want to hear any new idea's from members just coming on board. Its their way or the highway. If they will even talk to you as you found.

I believe it takes 5 members to start a club. I am working on this myself. I might have to make my wife a members and my kids to get this going but someone needs to do something or this is all gone when we leave this earth. Seeing 90% of us are Gray hairs that will not be to long from know. If we do not change things aviation as we know it will not be around for our grandchildren.

Tony

I went to the aviation safety seminar that comes here every year. I went last year. I saw a friend whom I met at the last EAA chapter I belonged to. I dropped out of that chapter because they are on the way out and not open to new idea, like building or flying.
    But I ran into my friend and said...Where have you been...he said I joined the EAA club in Blah.blah,blah. I said really, I have been looking for a club to join, I will come join...he said...You don't want to do that, for we hold our meetings outside because with only 3 members we can not afford to rent or use the office space.....I said I will come aboard and give my fair share to help...he said...we do nothing but sell some pancakes and that's about it, you do not want to be part of this.
    So either I smell, do not dress correct, drive the wrong car, or something but the...Not welcome sign was on and I got it loud and clear...

Tony

Chapters are all unique -- just like all of us! And of course they change as their leadership changes, so the health of a chapter can change rapidly as the leadership changes. I have been visiting chapters over the past year that I have been at EAA, and all of them have been great in their own ways. The key is to accept that some are gong to reach out and some are not depending on who is in the chapter at the moment -- you could be that new member that changes the flavor for the positive! You can also look at starting a new chapter (it takes just 10 EAA members to start a chapter) if your efforts are not working out. Chapters are still the best way to engage and spread the aviation community and get a real feel for how amazing and diverse we are!

I did get a response back from the local chapter, and it was acknowledged that because of the holidays, the communication wasn't the best. I'm ok with that, it's an honest answer, and certainly understandable. No problem there.

The message was welcoming, very specific that they were always seeking new members. So we'll see what happens!

Thanks, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Traveler View Post
    I did get a response back from the local chapter, and it was acknowledged that because of the holidays, the communication wasn't the best. I'm ok with that, it's an honest answer, and certainly understandable. No problem there.

The message was welcoming, very specific that they were always seeking new members. So we'll see what happens!

Thanks, everyone.
    This is great and what more of us need..But the question is....Do they do anything, like, fly airplanes, maybe build...I hope you the best. Some area's have really good functioning clubs and my hats goes off to those doing this. I long for some involvement in aviation besides just me and my airplane. But if that is all I have, I will fly and be happy doing it. Just long for more is all.

Tony

Traveler,
    If you were a little further to the east, EAA Chapter 2 in Fort Wayne would love to have you as a member. We are always looking for new people and new ideas. I know it's a long way to go for one of our meeting, but if you get the chance to fly over for our pancake breakfast or chili lunch this year, be sure to say hi.

Happy Flying,
    Kevin
    Kevin Stahl
    Webmaster - EAA Chapter 2
    www.eaa2.org

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the invite!

Yeah, FW is a bit over there, but if I can make it happen, I'll surely stop in for a breakfast or lunch.

Thanks again, I appreciate it. Take care, stay warm!

I've been facing a similar issue connecting with a local EAA Chapter. I've sent emails to three as well as voice message to one, with no response from any. I'm going to attempt to connect with the members during their January monthly meeting.

ON another note.....I just received notice there is an EAA Webinar "Chapter Chat: How to Start and Run a Successful EAA Chapter", scheduled for Wednesday January 15th. I'll be signing up for that one.

Best Regards......George