Thread: starter drive aka bendix

starter drive aka bendix

ok, nobody laugh, ok? i've got an SDN60 starter drive that i'd like to repair. yes, it goes on a boat anchor Prestolite starter, but the starter works and i already own it. those drives are about eighty bucks retail, but all that's wrong with this one is the itty bitty cup thingy that fits on the end of the small spring inside the drive is broken into pieces. anybody know where to get one? the little metal cup thingy, not the whole drive, not the whole starter. yes, i could probably find a buddy with a lathe and make one, but i don't know the material to make it out of and don't have the exact dimensions to make it to. so i ask.

thanks.

Go to an automotive starter rebuild shop and take the starter with you. They can fix it in no time. Tell them it fits a volkswagon beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by vaflier View Post
    Go to an automotive starter rebuild shop and take the starter with you. They can fix it in no time. Tell them it fits a volkswagon beetle.
    it actually fits a studebaker. but the starter is not the issue. the bendix drive itty bitty inside piece. shops around here don't rebuild those, they install new. but thanks for the idea. i'll go back around and ask for the ones they toss. might find one with the part still useable.

Just kidding about the volkswagon. If I am correct about what you are looking for it is the little cup that captures the lock ring ????. If so they should be able to help.