I think it has become difficult for just the average person, with a moderate income and other expenses, to fly. Err, not learn to fly, as over time and with dedication it can be minimized. What I'm more concerned about is what about after the training? With light sport aircraft and ultralight engines able to run on 91 octane at around 3 or 4 gallons per hour, how is the eager pilot to take advantage of the cost effectiveness?
I am persuing a sport certificate, primarily doing my flight training in a Flight Design CTSW/CTLS (both of them). I have also seen the Remos line of planes, and a few other companies that produce the LSAs with wings that are able to fold or be dismounted for storage. That seems very logical to me, and I enjoy the reduced cost in hangering fees when it can be adequately accomplished in one's garage. However, even used, these aircraft are a difficult find under about $70,000.
What does everyone else think of ultralight, or near-ultralight (in the SLSA category, but over part 103) being the primary after achieving a sport license? I personally think it might be fun to fly a Belite ultralight, even though it doesn't have two seats, limited flight capabilities, etc. It seems they have tried quite hard to make some of the ultralights fly just like the LSAs or similar to a Cub. I am still, however, nagged by the notion that at least 20 hours of flight training for sport is a bit overkill if that's what I'll be flying. Then reality hits, and I see the brand new price comparisons of say, the SkyCatcher and the Belite models (hm, 150 or 14). Thoughts?