Thread: Toy Copter Kills Own Pilot

Toy Copter Kills Own Pilot

When I saw this headline on NBC news website, it thought it must be some kind of joke, but sadly it appears to be a true story.
    A man owned one of those small remote controlled flying toy helicopters and he was experienced and expert at piloting it. But it got too close and hit him in the head, killing him.
    If there is anything to learn from this, it is to always be careful of spinning prop blades even in this case the rotor blades were only about 2 feet long. If it was one of the gas engine powered ones that I have seen flying at Steamboat, they really do put out some power and speed, and can therefore be dangerous, and of course anyone flying around kids should be extra careful.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-06-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Bill;

If this R/C copter was a toy, then the turbine-powered F-15 R/C planes you see out there are toys as well. As in, this was a sophisticated, 12-channel model - NOT one that you find in a store at Christmas time. One of the commenters noted that he was a tech rep or beta-user for one of the companies that made the model - such that he was expected to make changes to improve the product and really KNOW what it could be made to do.

Notably, the video link provided in the comment section of the NBC post shows just how extreme his maneuvers could get. Think of the Red Bull chopper at Oshkosh on crack. (not disparaging Red Bull - have just never seen a copter do what they can do!).

Very sad, regardless. The last I checked, they didn't know if it was pilot error (i.e., steering it too close to his body), or if there was a product issue or broken parts that perhaps altered the flight path.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Bill I haven't seen that story but, just this morning on a model airplane web site, (no, I don't fly RC) they were talking about an accident with an RC helicopter. The guy on this video was doing some 3-D maneuvers and had a tail strike and naturally it went out of control and eventually hit him. I think he was alright but his injuries could have been much worse. Someone else posted a photo of a guy lying on a hospital table and he must of had about 8 slices in his back from a helicopter rotor. Each slice was about 6" long and all were next to each other from left to right across his entire back. He looked like he got hit by the prop on an outboard boat, it was much too graphic to post here. I don't think it matters too much if it's gas or electric powered, with all the carbon fiber props and rotors used today, they're going to do a number on you if you get hit. It's easy to get complacent being around props, and all of them have the capacity to some real damage, no matter the size.

Carl, I don't think the important thing about this story is what name you call the helicopter, or how many channels it has, and I didn't write anything about it being in a store at Christmas. I just saw the story again on CNN and the quote is "remote control toy helicopter kills man". It's not a full size people carrying copter.
    Maybe you can find the story in detail and post the reference here so others can see the story first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by champ driver View Post
    Bill I haven't seen that story but, just this morning on a model airplane web site, (no, I don't fly RC) they were talking about an accident with an RC helicopter. The guy on this video was doing some 3-D maneuvers and had a tail strike and naturally it went out of control and eventually hit him. I think he was alright but his injuries could have been much worse. Someone else posted a photo of a guy lying on a hospital table and he must of had about 8 slices in his back from a helicopter rotor. Each slice was about 6" long and all were next to each other from left to right across his entire back. He looked like he got hit by the prop on an outboard boat, it was much too graphic to post here. I don't think it matters too much if it's gas or electric powered, with all the carbon fiber props and rotors used today, they're going to do a number on you if you get hit. It's easy to get complacent being around props, and all of them have the capacity to some real damage, no matter the size.

Sad part is the do gooders will want to ban these along with everything else that is fun. Let's just call it a unfortunate accident and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Carl, I don't think the important thing about this story is what name you call the helicopter, or how many channels it has, and I didn't write anything about it being in a store at Christmas. I just saw the story again on CNN and the quote is "remote control toy helicopter kills man". It's not a full size people carrying copter.
    Maybe you can find the story in detail and post the reference here so others can see the story first hand.
    OK, Bill, here's a link. Unfortunately, I can't find the original link from the usnews.nbcnews.com blog site.

You are correct - YOU did not call it a toy, THEY did. Also, when I pointed out that it wasn't the type that was found in a store at Christmas, I know you didn't say that. It's just that some of the ones they do have in the stores are getting to be pretty big. I was just trying to put some emphasis on it for other readers.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...222576101.html

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

A lot of the "Toy" RC aircraft that can be bought can do serious damage to a person. Even the $100-$200 ready to fly airplanes that Horizon Hobby and Nitro Planes sell could easily put some one in the hospital, or worse. At about 2-3lbs and 50mph, they could do some damage if they get out of control and hit you, especially if the prop is still spinning.

Even the little helicopters that you can buy in the mall at xmas can take an eye out if the cheap plastic head decides not to hold onto the blade anymore (say, from fatigued plastic after being crashed a handful of times learning to fly it) ...

The accident that happened here was from a very experienced pilot with very capable hardware. There are a lot less experience pilots flying with cheap hardware all over the country. There is a reason I make my daughter sit behind the second safety fence at the RC field while the helicopters are flying ...