Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good morning from MCAS Miramar

Goggles Good morning from MCAS Miramar

Greetings all. New to the world of ultralights. I'm currently a student pilot with 19 hours and a few solos in Cessna 150 and 152s. I'm trying to get into ultralights locally and find a used one especially since my flight school is on hold but im still really wanting to get in the air and fly especially solo. I'm going to be linking up with the San Diego ultralight club here on the 7th but I'm also aggressively browsing barnstormers and Craigslist for used models.

Are there any other resources in the San Diego area that anyone can point me towards. Any leads on used ultralights or ultralight trainers?

Thanks for any help folks hope to see some of y'all around

Quote Originally Posted by Downs View Post
    Greetings all. New to the world of ultralights. I'm currently a student pilot with 19 hours and a few solos in Cessna 150 and 152s. I'm trying to get into ultralights locally and find a used one especially since my flight school is on hold but im still really wanting to get in the air and fly especially solo. I'm going to be linking up with the San Diego ultralight club here on the 7th but I'm also aggressively browsing barnstormers and Craigslist for used models.

Are there any other resources in the San Diego area that anyone can point me towards. Any leads on used ultralights or ultralight trainers?

Thanks for any help folks hope to see some of y'all around

You ever think about trying gliders? Are you in the MC?

I've honestly never given much thought to gliders. I've always been interested in powered flight mostly.

Yes I'm in the Marine Corps. 10 years now. 5 years as a turbine mechanic and 5 years now as a flight equipment technician.

Been interested in flying since I was a kid. Did a few years with the civil air patrol when I was in junior high and high school.

I don't see any U.S. Ultralight Association clubs listed for the San Diego area, but there are two in the Los Angeles area that should be good resources for you.

017 Sports Flyers Of Southern CA Bill White Stanton CA (714) 527-4530
    124 USUA UL Club of S. CA #124 Jon Thornburgh Redonda Beach CA (800) 971-8710
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

I found these guys. They are about a 20 or 30 minute drive from the base.

www.sdua.org

They are EAA affiliated but do not appear to be affliated with the USUA.

Cool, even better, I didn't think to check EAA and not USUA ultralight chapters.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Just got me EAA membership last night. Plan to put it to good use

Downs, There's a really cool ultralight club/strip up in Nuevo-just north of Murrieta/Temecula. I'd fly up with you but we've moved to east Texas!!! Also, keep checking Barnstormers, I've gotten some extremely good deals there. In fact, a buddy of mine has an Aeronca Chief for $8000 (it needs some work but is flyable) if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by pacerpilot View Post
    Downs, There's a really cool ultralight club/strip up in Nuevo-just north of Murrieta/Temecula. I'd fly up with you but we've moved to east Texas!!! Also, keep checking Barnstormers, I've gotten some extremely good deals there. In fact, a buddy of mine has an Aeronca Chief for $8000 (it needs some work but is flyable) if you're interested.
    I think that's the Ultralight Squadron of America in Perris, Ca. I've been in contact with them. Apparently the San Diego Ultralight club and and the Perris group have fly-ins together and meet up at various locations.

The Aeronca Chief counts as a light sport bird doesn't it? Either way 8k is just over my price range, one of the reasons I've been looking for ULs in the area. I've been finding stuff for between 3 and 7k in the area. I figure I have about a 6 to 7 k budget.