Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airplane Repo: Good or Bad?

Rolls Eyes Airplane Repo: Good or Bad?

Have you seen the show Airplane Repo on discovery channel? There was a 3 episode first season, produced in 2010, done in a documentary style (on another network) that dealt with actual repossession of aircraft. However, the current season on discovery is shot in "commando style" and is completely fake. The current series even ends with a disclaimer that the show is re-enactment or dramatization.

While I find this show amusing due to the wild inaccuracies, Airplane Repo does not portray general aviation in a positive way. Furthermore, the show portrays the actors jumping fences, breaking into hangars, by passing gates, disabling an automatic gate, lying to airport security, sneaking around on ramps. Instead of performing repossessions as in the 2010 series, the current show takes on the feel of stealing airplanes. My fear is that Airplane Repo will encourage or embolden viewers to start sneaking around airports and parked airplanes. This is the last thing GA needs in a post 9/11 world.

I say Bad for GA...

Yeah, I liked the ones with Nick Popovich a bit better, only cuz they showed more of the formality of it - posting the notice on the plane, settling-up with the FBOs, etc. The new show does try to sensationalize it a bit too much.

Case in point: on a recent show where they repo'd a Cub in Alaska, the cameraman and (sorry can't remember name) repo guy have to hike 10+ miles across a lake to find the plane, then repo guy takes off and leaves the cameraman on the ground. I'm assuming of course that this was staged or that a chopper came by to retrieve the cameraman.

I, too, saw the disclaimer at the end.

About the only bad thing I thought of was that the repo guys are going around and exposing all the vulnerabilities in airport security, which may only lead to even taller fences, more cameras, required IDs, etc., which we just don't need.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

The new show is almost unbearable in it's stupidity. The original three Nick Popovitch episodes were much better.

It's awful, just awful. "Ohmygawd look, the crosswind is coming up to 17 knots!" Cut to a scene of the plane taxiing out and the windsock is right down the runway. Just one minor example of many I could call out after watching a single episode. Utter trash.
    Ryan Winslow
    EAA 525529
    Stinson 108-1 "Big Red", RV-7 under construction

concur with all the above. especially Carl's comment about airport security. that show is scary.

I didn't want to go down the path a scene-by-scene debunk of the show. There are too many examples of TV misrepresentation, poor (or bogus) aeronautical decision making, assault and battery, and other fake drama elements to list.

The one thing that did catch my eye, however, was the Super Cub in Alaska where the wheels are changed out for skis. The scene shows the repo pilot making the swap and as I understand the FARs, this is NOT something an owner / pilot can do. This would be a task performed by an A&P as this requires a weight & balance update to be entered in the log book. I'd be curious to see what the FSDO in Alaska thinks about this....

Again, the show is bad for GA in my humble opinion....

Maybe that guy was an A&P. I dunno. It's just as fake as all the other "repo" shows.

I watched one where they went to repo a Nissian Pathfinder. The "owner" burnt it down. It shows a cut where they show the "owner" pouring gas in it then lighting it on fire. They show the inside of the pathfinder and it's completely gutted, which is exactly what a TV show would do when burning a car for the show.

I doubt the "owner" stripped the carpet, seats, ect out of the car just so he could burn it.

Totally stupid, maybe someone should send this thread to the Discovery Channel.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
    It's awful, just awful. "Ohmygawd look, the crosswind is coming up to 17 knots!" Cut to a scene of the plane taxiing out and the windsock is right down the runway. Just one minor example of many I could call out after watching a single episode. Utter trash.
    That same show has them all in the plane ready to taxi out with the plane still tied down on the wings and tail!

Flying Wild Alaska had some terrible edits and story lines but it was far above this one!

Once again, this show portrays us as "the elite 1 percenters". Sorry, but my tax returns and bank account don't agree with that portrayal. I can afford to fly because I scrimp in other parts of my life so I can allocate funds for aviation. They also make the airport managers, other pilots, and line buys out to be a bunch of idiotic dolts. That's not consistent with the impression I get when I meet these people in person. It's all bad PR for General Aviation and airports, besides the fact that these guys appear to be first class jerks.

-CubBuilder