Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Threat of Hypoxia and a Simple Solution

Banned

The Threat of Hypoxia and a Simple Solution

This past week, 2 fatal accidents have highlighted pilot incapacitation at higher altitudes. Based on the flights themselves and reports from the air force pilots who intercepted the stricken planes, it's quite possible that hypoxia may have been the cause.

Although I rarely fly above 8,000 ft., there are times such as over large bodies of water where we get up to 11,000 ft. Based on the fact that I'm not getting any younger and my belief in an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I'm investing in a very inexpensive Pulse Oximeter. It's a non-invasive, easy to use diagnostic clip-on-your-finger tool that provides instant monitoring and measurements of blood oxygen levels to prevent hypoxia.

They can be bought at any drug store. Likely, the cheapest aviation thingy that you will ever purchase and could save a life--yours.

With the two recent accidents, I am beginning to wonder, why don't owner/pilots of high performance planes that regularly fly the flight levels take an altitude chamber course ? As a former member of the Air Force, we had to take chamber training every 5 to 7 years if you were on flight status. It is well worth whatever the expense and you do learn what your symptoms to hypoxia are. I know a builder who is constructing a pressurized Lanceair with a trubo prop on the nose. I asked him about training and he said he didn t need it. FAR 91.211 covers useage of oxygen at altitudes. I guess that part of training was missed.

In at least one of these cases the pilot knew he was in trouble. However, he didn't use his emergency authority go get down to a level he could perfuse adequately. The problem is once you're hypoxic it's often too late to rationally deal with the information that you're hypoxic.

I will still wonder why he didn t go on oxygen. After doing that, I would have told ATC i am making emergency descent and done it, let them do their job and make a hole for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    In at least one of these cases the pilot knew he was in trouble. However, he didn't use his emergency authority go get down to a level he could perfuse adequately. The problem is once you're hypoxic it's often too late to rationally deal with the information that you're hypoxic.
    He did advise ATC he was having trouble and requested lower. They put him off for a time, then gave him lower, but not as low as he requested. After that they never heard from him again.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

The pilot of the TBM stated he had an "indication" problem and did not communicate any urgency in his request to descend.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    He did advise ATC he was having trouble and requested lower. They put him off for a time, then gave him lower, but not as low as he requested. After that they never heard from him again.
    Frankly an airline pilot with a pressurization failure is immediately going to head for 10,000 ft or whatever. Not going to ask permission, tell ATC what you're doing to address the problem.

Still hypoxia isn't limited to the small aircraft. Here's a couple of airliners

Here's another disaster:
    http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/B...F_LOC_FIRE_AW)

Here's one where things worked OK
    http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2013/AAB1302.pdf

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...m/aim0801.html
    https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publ...m/aim0801.html
    pilot performance can seriously deteriorate within 15 minutes at 15,000 feet.

he ability to take corrective and protective action is lost in 20 to 30 minutes at 18,000 feet and 5 to 12 minutes at 20,000 feet, followed soon thereafter by unconsciousness.
    guy was at 25 requesting lower

tell me , what is the penalty for declaring an emergency that turns out to NOT be a real emergency ..just embarrassment or is it more than that ,

we know what the penalty for NOT declaring an emergency is.. when it is
    don't we .. ..
    god rest that aviators soul

to attend the physiological training program at one of the military installations having the training capability, an application form and a fee must be submitted.
    Last edited by mrbarry; 09-08-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbarry View Post
    what is the penalty for declaring an emergency that turns out to NOT be a real emergency ..just embarrassment or is it more than that ,
    I've flown high altitudes in all sorts of aircraft and have been through USAF altitude chambers multiple times. The controlled hypoxia experience can be a life-saver. I believe it should be a requirement for everyone who flies at high altitudes.

An important note on the "time of useful consciousness"....those times are for healthy, physically fit pilots. Prescription meds, fatigue, smoking, and other things will greatly reduce those times and may cut them in half or more.

The penalty for declaring an emergency?....NONE!!!! If in doubt, even the slightest doubt, declare an emergency and take immediate positive action...whether flying a Malibu up high or a Piper Cub down low. If ATC isn't giving you what you need, do it anyway and tell them you're doing it. Yes, you may have to write a statement explaining your actions, but you'll be alive to write it. Only the pilot in command can determine whether you're in an emergency situation. No one else will second guess you, either during your emergency actions or afterwards.

Pilots are typically reluctant to declare an emergency. You're paying for ATC services and airport emergency services. The aircraft rescue and firefighting forces (ARFF) are standing by, probably bored, and eager to exercise their equipment and skills. Use them! Minor aircraft malfunctions can compound quickly into serious mechanical problems. Physiological emergencies can result from hypoxia or simply from the burger you ate for lunch. If you don't feel right, get it down and on the ground quickly. You might burp and feel better or it might be the big one. You've earned the title of pilot-in-command; act like one and take positive action.

I've never heard of anybody getting in trouble for declaring an emergency. I've heard of the FAA not accepting the emergency declaration as an excuse to violate FARs in the process when the "emergency was of one own making" but I find that a travesty of the law. If they want to string someone up for causing the situation that caused the emergency (in the case I'm remembering, flight into known icing conditions) but once you're in the emergent situation, you should be clear to do what is necessary to get out safely.