Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your dream aircraft?

What is your dream aircraft?

I know there are so many choices And if money wasn't an issue, my choice(s) is an F4U Corsair, P-38 Lightning, and the ever so popular P-51 Mustang. But to be modest and realistic, my dream machine is a Vans RV8.

We all have that special airplane, Helicopter, balloon, or air bound conveyance that we would like to have. So what is yours?

Without getting overly exotic, I'd like to have a Stearman for local enjoyment and a Cessna 180 for general flying, though a Bonanza would be great for trips. I know some folks will think that's mundane, but if you can't afford those, they're nice to dream about.

Larry N.

Inuss,

I think your choices reflect the issue of mission(s), and there good choices! Assuming money is no object, I'd like a Cub Crafter S2, an RV-9A, and a Cirrus SR20, and throw in a "NetJets" card for a Falcon 9 or a big Gulfstream for international travel!

Joe

Cabin Waco. Beech 18. Spitfire Mk IX or earlier.

One I forgot to mention is a Beech Staggerwing. But like many of my dream aircraft, just too far out of my price range. Which reminds me; I need to check my Powerball ticket.

Cessna Bird Dog. Roomy, affordable, great visibility, affordable, and it's a gen-u-wine Warbird, to boot.

I got about 25 hours in one, decades ago (I think I'm the only cadet who ever got the official CAP signoff), and still remember how gol-darn much fun it was.

Ron Wanttaja

My favorite is my RV. If I won the Powerball, I would go out and add a Bell 407 helicopter.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

What works for me may not work for others. I would like to fly without bothering with FAA medical certification. I have commercial privileges for gliders, so I choose a "self launching glider" AKA motor glider as my dream ride.You don't even need the driver's license for medical cerification as LSAs do. See FAR 61.23 b & c. Yes, you still need a picture ID.

Motor gliders have significant advantages over Light Sport aircraft: Variable pitch full feathering props are common. No speed limits, No weight limits, No altitude limits. Lower age limits. No prohibitions on night flights or IFR if equiped and PIC is current. Glider pilots are authorized to use airplane instrument ratings. Fortunately I have that plus a helo Instrument rating.

An import from Slovenea, the Pipistrel Virus caught my eye. There are several dealers in the US uncluding here in Florida. They are available as kits or ready to fly. LSA airplanes or motor gliders. 41 foot span or "short wing" 35 foot span. Tri-gear or TD. with or without tundra tires. This aircraft is a two time winner of the NASA Challange. Won 5 out of 7 catagories. Best in MPG, 2nd in speed to worlds fastest RV-4, CAFE efficiency and shortest runway. Very clean. Its a glider after all. The prop makes it a near STOL for T.O. The spoilers and flaps make it near STOL for landing. It would only need half of my 1450' farm strip. It can carry a usfull load almost equal its 650# EW. ROC is 1600. Cruises 147 Knots. (I flight planned a Mooney MK 21 at 145) Vne is 165 KTS. Roll rate 45 deg to 45 deg is 1.9 sec thanks to full span flaperons. Load tested to +7G

Well equipped RTF price is 2/3 of a Skycatcher. The QB kit is less. One other thing. You could feather the prop and have the right of way in the traffic pattern.

Bob

If I won the lottery I can see picking up one of these: http://www.controller.com/listingsde...SE/1209907.htm

Spitfire, what else looks as good, sounds as good, or flys as good?

Also you already have the photo of another good one, a Cub, and I prefer a J3 just for fun and relaxing local flights.