Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA Founder Paul Poberezny Passes at Age 91

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    I would like to pass this suggestion uphill to EAA HQ. Mr. Bryan and/or any other staffers here, can you get this to the proper place, or even directly to Mr. Pelton?

I would like to suggest that EAA print up small stickers, with a version of the original EAA logo, that simply says "Thank you Paul" and nothing more. These stickers should be distributed free of charge. Every owner or pilot of a homebuilt airplane (any airplane for that matter) should have the ability to put one or two of these stickers on the tail, as a lasting tribute.

This idea is just one small tribute, added to the many other tributes that will surely come. But it's a tribute EVERY pilot can participate in, anywhere in the world. I think it would be poignant, classy, and appropriate. I didn't know Paul very well, but I met him several times, and I think he would be honored by having this simple and humble thanks on thousands of airplanes all over the world.

We can't all go to a funeral, we can't all send flowers, and we can't all contribute money to a foundation. But we can all say thanks to Paul every time we fly, at a very very small cost of time, money, and effort.

If the rank and file EAA membership thinks my idea is a good one, please join me in spreading the word and suggesting it to EAA HQ.

I volunteer to help design this sticker, although there are certainly much better graphics experts than myself. I believe that using the original EAA logo is important because it best honors the Founder and his original idea better than any subsequent logos IMHO.

Bill Berle
    EAA Chapter 40
    Los Angeles
    Hal, I think this is a wonderful idea.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Just passed the suggestion along to Jack Pelton. I think it's a great idea. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

Zack

I think it's a great idea too! Thank You, Paul.

The sticker idea is wonderful way to remember Paul. Hopefully it would be available to overseas members as well?

Thank you all for your positive response, and thank you Zack for putting my humble idea in front of Mr. Pelton. Since EAA has had an impact all over the world, yes I had envisioned that these stickers should be made available everywhere, through every chapter worldwide.

I looked up the "retail" printing cost of a 2x3 "outdoor" sticker with UV resistant coating, and it was something like $680 for 10,000 of them, or under 7 cents apiece (www.uprinting.com) . I'm guessing that this could be cut in half with a larger order, and even customized (die-cut) to the actual shape of the old EAA logo with the little airplane at the bottom.

It seems to me that a couple of thousand dollars total would buy 50,000 or more of these stickers. Perhaps one of our EAA members might even be in the printing business, and do it on a pro bono basis. But even at full retail price, I think it is a very small cost.
    Last edited by Victor Bravo; 08-23-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Meder View Post
    Hal, I think this is a wonderful idea.
    +1.
    I'd like one, should it come to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    Thank you all for your positive response, and thank you Zack for putting my humble idea in front of Mr. Pelton. Since EAA has had an impact all over the world, yes I had envisioned that these stickers should be made available everywhere, through every chapter worldwide.
    This is a great idea!

Never had the opportunity to meet him personally, but know via the forum etc that he was a good man and well liked by many, RIP Paul ............................

I would suggest further to make them available to all. Not all of us fly but we may have been inspired by Paul to love the romance and spirit of aviation and actively support the spirit of individual freedom that EAA represents.

[QUOTE=Victor Bravo;34546]I would like to pass this suggestion uphill to EAA HQ. Mr. Bryan and/or any other staffers here, can you get this to the proper place, or even.....

Bill, I think this is an excellent idea! In fact, even as broke as I am I'd be willing to pay a few bucks for a sticker if need be. However, I think I'll take a different turn on your idea. I own/fly Jake Jaks Pober Junior Ace (the design that got it all going), which Paul had input and influence in building and actually flew. It has a nice "Pober Junior Ace" script on the fuselage, I think I'll add the "Thanks Paul" to it. Again, great idea! Name:  HPIM8763.JPG
Views: 490
Size:  66.6 KB