Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EAA Founder Paul Poberezny Passes at Age 91

There are few people in aviation who have made such an impact. Paul’s accomplishments are very inspirational.

My greatest memory of Paul was during the evening fireside chat at a chapter leader workshop a few years ago. It was during the turbulent period of the search for the EAA President. It was a very intense session where Paul really let his feelings out; showing his care for the organization and members. I think at that time while he accepted there was gong to be significant change, he wanted to see that the original purpose of EAA was going to continue where the people’s relationships mattered. The conflicts during the search for the President appeared to be a very difficult time for him. I'm glad that he was able to see that what he started is now on a good path.

My deepest sympathy to the Poberezny family. We've lost our founder and friend, but gained another guardian angel. I was thinking about selling my Pober Junior Ace (Jake Jaks actually)-but I think I'll hold on to it now.

To EAA, it's members he will always be a friend...a friend that just doesn't come around much anymore except in our thoughts, prayers and hopefully we can each honor his legacy a little each day by passing along what he gave all of us so much of.

The world is a little bit sadder of a place tonight, but few men (or women) have obtained such a legacy as this man has. I will miss him and his wonderful inspiration.

I remember seeing Paul fly the P-51 at Oshkosh '86 and being so impressed that the founder and president of EAA was flying in the airshow and putting on a fine display. Here was a guy who could truly walk the talk! A few years later, around '96, I had flown in to Oshkosh (not during the show) and saw him again at the Pioneer Airport. He drove up in an old Cadillac and when people started recognizing him, Paul took the time to speak a few words with each person (including me). He always seemed to have a presence in Red 1 around Oshkosh. Then I didn't see Paul for several years and was delighted to see him in Red 1 at Oshkosh 2011. Pulling up to one of the exhibit buildings, he took the time to share a few words with anyone who approached. Paul was truly a one of a kind.

Gone West.... wishing you tailwinds and smooth air

Paul and Red One were ever present at all the EAA conventions, now known as AirVenture. He always had time to stop and chat and was especially attentive to children, adults with disabilities, but never turned down an opportunity to chat. He wouldn't cut short the conversation. His physical presence will be very much missed but his presence will still be felt in all aspects of EAA. Audrey followed Paul's lead in being willing to chat. She is also very warm and personable.

My sincere and deepest condolences to Audrey, Tom and Sharon, Bonnie and Chuck, Audra and Lesley. Charlotte "Charley" Hoy will not have the opportunity to know well her great-grandfather. In time she will know what a wonderful person he was.

Very sad news, but a wonderful long life, very well-lived. What a legacy he leaves. RIP, Paul.

Hal, please let us know if/when a public memorial service will be held when you have that information. Thanks in advance.

God Speed Paul. If a man's life is measured by the lives he touched, you are a giant.

I was fortunate to have quite a bit of personal interaction with Paul over the years, but one of my favorite stories to tell about him is one I saw from afar:

I was a controller at OSH in the old tower, taking a break and looking out the window, and saw Red 1 coming down the road. Suddenly Paul stops, slowly backs up, stops, gets out and walks 50 feet or so into the flight line. Stoops over, picks up a small piece of litter, carries it over to a trash can and throws it away, then gets back in Red 1 and continues on his way.

In his wake, I watched as a rather large number of people, who'd seen the same thing I had, continued their strolls through the flight line. Every one of them stopped to pick up every piece of litter in sight.

I was a young man then, and learned a powerful lesson about leading by example.

I would like to pass this suggestion uphill to EAA HQ. Mr. Bryan and/or any other staffers here, can you get this to the proper place, or even directly to Mr. Pelton?

I would like to suggest that EAA print up small stickers, with a version of the original EAA logo, that simply says "Thank you Paul" and nothing more. These stickers should be distributed free of charge. Every owner or pilot of a homebuilt airplane (any airplane for that matter) should have the ability to put one or two of these stickers on the tail, as a lasting tribute.

This idea is just one small tribute, added to the many other tributes that will surely come. But it's a tribute EVERY pilot can participate in, anywhere in the world. I think it would be poignant, classy, and appropriate. I didn't know Paul very well, but I met him several times, and I think he would be honored by having this simple and humble thanks on thousands of airplanes all over the world.

We can't all go to a funeral, we can't all send flowers, and we can't all contribute money to a foundation. But we can all say thanks to Paul every time we fly, at a very very small cost of time, money, and effort.

If the rank and file EAA membership thinks my idea is a good one, please join me in spreading the word and suggesting it to EAA HQ.

I volunteer to help design this sticker, although there are certainly much better graphics experts than myself. I believe that using the original EAA logo is important because it best honors the Founder and his original idea better than any subsequent logos IMHO.

Bill Berle
    EAA Chapter 40
    Los Angeles
    Last edited by Victor Bravo; 08-23-2013 at 03:14 AM.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com