Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: EAA Founder Paul Poberezny Passes at Age 91

I LOVE the idea of the "Thank You, Paul" stickers AND making the 2014 theme the same. As someone who lives near Oshkosh I am hoping there will be some kind of public memorial this fall, maybe at the Eagle Hangar. Next year at the fly-in I'd love to see a Theater in the Woods evening devoted to Paul, and a presentation at Warbirds in Review on the planes he flew in the military, and of course a P-51 missing man formation during the airshow(s).

No doubt Mr. Pelton and Co. will come up with appropriate remembrances!

Hal, feel free to tell Mr. Pelton I feel the same way. I think it'd be a great theme for 2014.
    Anxiety is nature's way of telling you that you've already goofed up.

Slightly confused...

I think Victor Bravo's idea is first rate. However, the desire to say Thank You ends with spending even a nickel? I don't understand what the "wrong" is in the message. I, for one have no problem spending $3.00 for a "Thank you, Paul" sticker if I know the balance would go towards an aviation scholarship endowment in Paul and Audrey's name. I think their efforts over the past 60 years has earned $3.00 of my dollars.

Regards,
    Duane Skoog
    President, #1374

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Bravo View Post
    Thank you for your support, but the important thing is... no money.

This is something that EAA can easily do, it's dirt cheap. EAA has a budget to send out promotional items like Young Eagles pamphlets and buttons. We're talking a few cents, plus the cost of sending a box of stickers to each chapter.

It would send precisely the wrong message if they even charged a nickel.

One of the complaints many EAA members have had over the last ten or fifteen years is the organization's increased focus on making money. There have been some serious problems in Oshkosh because of this very fact, if I recall.

My reason for suggesting that the stickers are free is that there have been a large number of EAA members who have expressed disappointment with the organization's increasing focus on profit over the last several years. In fairness there are two valid sides to that argument, and believe me we all WANT and NEED EAA to be a financially strong organization.

I learned that the differences of opinion between various EAA leaders (on the subject of squeezing every dime out of everyone wherever possible) created some corporate and personal problems a few years ago. Apparently Paul came down on the side of the average EAA member and their average financial means... and some came down on the side of corporate sponsorships, huge corporate pavilions, and the Disney philosophy of bankrupting the average attendee by the time they left for home.

(I had a strong opinion on this last subject, and wrote a "paint-peeler" of a feedback letter to the Convention Office, including the comment that "how they managed to find a truly crappy Bratwurst... in Wisconsin for God's sake... and charge $75.00 for it is beyond me..." but that's a separate matter and I do NOT want that argument to muddy this discussion)

My feeling is that even though most of us would spend a few bucks on a sticker to honor what Paul had contributed to our lives, the concept that honoring Paul would give EAA the idea to put a price tag on it rubs me the wrong way. And if it rubbed me the wrong way, then perhaps other EAA members (who already had feelings about pricing and costs and corporate focus) might also be rubbed the wrong way.

So it's not that my loyalty or thanks to Paul has a financial limit, it's that EAA should hold Paul Poberezny's memory and legacy above and outside of any cost or profitability requirements or opportunities.

Perhaps some of the old-time EAA members here who knew Paul well could offer an opinion on how Paul would have felt about this question?

I'll fly the stickers on my airplane and my toolbox proudly, whether I spend money on buying the sticker or not. The difference will be how it makes me feel about today's EAA.
    Last edited by Victor Bravo; 08-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

How about making the stickers free, but allowing a return donation to a very targeted purpose - one that would be held near and dear to Paul's heart? I believe that even if 100% of the members didn't donate, that those of us who would, would result in covering the cost many times over, plus benefitting a purpose of which Paul would be proud.

Wouldn't even have to be something like YE or youth education - could be something that Paul believed was needed for the average Joe. How about Camp Scholler or Vintage Camping improvements? (even though I've never camped, I believe that represents a lot of the real roots of the organization).

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

So what's the word from HQ on this idea? I think we've shown that there is strong support for the idea, and I think myself and others have made a strong case that EAA should consider this a clear example of core-level member service. Several days ago it was posted by Zack that he put this in front of Mr. Pelton (Thanks again Zack).

I think that the fact nobody has opposed the idea, for any reason, speaks loudly. These internet forums always have all sides of any argument represented, for and against anything. To have an idea pass in front of a forum... a pilot forum for goodness sake... and have every post come down in support of the basic idea, is a rare thing IMHO.

Bill Berle
    Chapter 40
    Los Angeles
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

Here's another thought: Every year on renewal, National typically tosses a new EAA decal in the envelope. Include the "Thanks, Paul!" decals as well; no separate mailing required, all members receive one, etc.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by gdskoog View Post
    I think Victor Bravo's idea is first rate. However, the desire to say Thank You ends with spending even a nickel? I don't understand what the "wrong" is in the message. I, for one have no problem spending $3.00 for a "Thank you, Paul" sticker if I know the balance would go towards an aviation scholarship endowment in Paul and Audrey's name. I think their efforts over the past 60 years has earned $3.00 of my dollars.

Regards,
    Duane Skoog
    President, #1374
    Nice Chapter Duane! You guys do alot of good stuff! Glad to see you on here.

I just got back from the airport after a flight in my Pober Junior Ace. A beautiful evening in East Texas-no wind, warm and clear. I Thought of Paul as my pooch and I climbed out over the trees. I can't think of anything better to say other than THANKS PAUL!!!

Aw, pacerpilot, that's sweet! What kind of dog do you have?