Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: EAA Founder Paul Poberezny Passes at Age 91

A tribute to Paul is certainly warranted and something all EAA'ers and lovers of aviation can buy into. I had brief contacts with Paul over the 37 years I've been coming to Oshkosh - the most memorable was in the early 80's when a nasty storm came thru the grounds bringing damaging winds and torrential rains. After things had quieted down I found myself out splashing around camp Scholler at 3 AM just to see how bad it was. It wasn't too long before I met a guy driving an old Caddy who stopped and asked me if I was OK and if I had a dry place to sleep that night. He was out gathering up strays that had been flooded out and taking them to a temporary shelter in a hangar on the north end of the field. That good samaritan was Paul Poberezny.... to Paul, the people came first, a lesson EAA should take from him.

Hal and other EAA staffers... any news on the Thanks Paul stickers idea?
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Hey Victor - Sorry for the delay, but I wanted to wait until I had the chance to get with a couple of people personally. Anyway, everybody, up yo and including Jack, loves the idea, and we're going to look at dome design ideas ASAP.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Hal thank you and all the other EAA staffers for taking this idea "uphill". I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that we're thrilled.

Please please please pass along this equally important part of the idea too, if you would be kind enough... Because this was not an internal idea that originally came out a meeting at HQ, there will be a strong push from people in the PR, advertising, and communications offices to step in and take over the design process (referred to as "NIH" in the aerospace business).

Although I can understand this, I feel very strongly about the design of the sticker, because it offers an opportunity for EAA to honor its past, at a very appropriate moment, without interfering too much with the existing EAA branding.

Again, with all sincere apologies to EAA communications or graphics staff, I feel very strongly in favor of the sticker being based on the old original EAA logo with the little Volksplane (or RV) at the bottom, and having only two words, "Thanks, Paul" and no other text.

My two primary reasons for this are as follows:

1) This is not a time for a branding opportunity. Tell the marketing people to get back in their cage and be quiet. The words "experimental aircraft association" on the sticker would diminish the primary focus, which is to honor Paul personally.

2) The fact that it is based on an original EAA logo, which is much more associated with Paul than the newer "jet" logo, sends a strong message that EAA is still about small, simple, fun airplanes. That is a worthwhile branding exercise.
    EZ Flap is the high performance upgrade for Cessna, Piper, Stinson, Maule and Beech manual flaps.
    More performance - more control - more visibility ! 100% Money Back Guarantee www.ezflaphandle.com

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    That's very fair feedback, Victor, and I can certainly agree with you that, if there is a logo of any kind, it simply must be the original "meatball." As for editing that logo to remove the name of the organization that Paul founded...we'll just agree to disagree there. I understand your reasoning, but that's not how I'd vote. Rest assured that I'll pass your feedback along.

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

My copy of Sport Aviation finally arrived. Very pleased to see that EAA management has taken up the idea posted above with regard to memorializing Paul throughout AirVenture. Now, about those stickers...

Chris Mayer
    N424AF

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    My copy of Sport Aviation finally arrived. Very pleased to see that EAA management has taken up the idea posted above with regard to memorializing Paul throughout AirVenture. Now, about those stickers...

Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    Don't have mine yet. You get mail delivered on Saturdays??!!