Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoking at Airventure,

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN

Smoking at Airventure,

I think folks who don't bath frequently enough should not be allowed on the grounds. Why should I have to smell someone's BO. God knows there are some campers out there who need to visit the showers more frequently. I mean, you put 500,000 folks in close proximity, folks need to bathe.

Maybe EAA could sponsor "shower parties" to clean up the worst offenders.

Don't get me started on people who fart in the chow line...

Where do we draw the line when we begin restricting individual freedoms?
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    I think folks who don't bath frequently enough should not be allowed on the grounds. Why should I have to smell someone's BO. God knows there are some campers out there who need to visit the showers more frequently. I mean, you put 500,000 folks in close proximity, folks need to bathe.

Maybe EAA could sponsor "shower parties" to clean up the worst offenders.

Don't get me started on people who fart in the chow line...

Where do we draw the line when we begin restricting individual freedoms?
    Very funny but you draw the line when ones individual freedom like smoking causes bystanders to breath a cancer causing smoke.
    States visited with my Piper Challenger

Very funny but you draw the line when ones individual freedom like smoking causes bystanders to breath a cancer causing smoke.

Perhaps when you actually have some serious science that shows such a causality. They've not been able to show any link to cancer with SHS and the coronary disease causaltiy is still a bit tenuous (so says the CDC).

If you're going to jump to hysterical science you might as well shutdown all those TEL-belching aircraft that pollute the Airventure environment.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

Perhaps when you actually have some serious science that shows such a causality. They've not been able to show any link to cancer with SHS and the coronary disease causaltiy is still a bit tenuous (so says the CDC).

If you're going to jump to hysterical science you might as well shutdown all those TEL-belching aircraft that pollute the Airventure environment.
    ----

Smoking is for suckers...

Do you have a link on that information? I went to the CDC website, and according to this page,

"There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke causes numerous health problems in infants and children, including severe asthma attacks, respiratory infections, ear infections, and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Some of the health conditions caused by secondhand smoke in adults include heart disease and lung cancer."

and this:

"Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in adults who themselves have never smoked.

• Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%.
    • Secondhand smoke causes an estimated 3,400 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year."

Read the document in footnote 3 of that propaganda sheet.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    Hey, President Obama smokes so it must be okay. Right?

I'm not a proponent of smoking. I quit years ago. I wish everyone would, but it is still a choice, in a country where we have choices. If you choose not to smoke, don't hang out near the smoking area.

Many would have the same argument about alcohol. I haven't heard anyone in favor of banning all alcohol. Seems it was tried once and didn't work out so well.
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Read the document in footnote 3 of that propaganda sheet.
    From that paper:

"CONCLUSION
    Data consistently demonstrate that secondhand-smoke exposure increases the risk of coronary heart disease and heart attacks and that smoking bans reduce heart attacks. Given the prevalence of heart attacks, and the resultant deaths, smoking bans can have a substantial impact on public health. The savings, as measured in human lives, is undeniable."

Doesn't seem very tenuous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JimRice85 View Post
    Hey, President Obama smokes so it must be okay. Right?

I'm not a proponent of smoking. I quit years ago. I wish everyone would, but it is still a choice, in a country where we have choices. If you choose not to smoke, don't hang out near the smoking area.

Many would have the same argument about alcohol. I haven't heard anyone in favor of banning all alcohol. Seems it was tried once and didn't work out so well.
    The problem is there was smoking in areas that are not smoking areas. Just look at all the cig butts all over the grounds. It amazes me that some smokers feel that the earth is their ashtray. Believe me if there were designated smoking areas, I would be no where near them

And for the other poster, there is plenty of evidence of the dangers of your secondhand smoke .